Contributor

Early Good Morning Ladies and Gents,

I have in my "cart" two of the Ball No-Cook Kits. I have a question or two and hoping that someone, still awake this late, can help me!

Since it is "no cook" I am wondering, is it some kind of "special" Pectin that they are providing? Some of the reviewers commented that you could purchase "pectin" like at Walmart or even Ace Hardware...would it be the "same"?

Since I try to use "glass" as much as possible (or only the "healthier" kind of plastic's out there for Storage)...is the "glass" that Ball is using...something "special" also? since it can be used in the freezer? I personally have a Ton of Ball Glass Jars...all sizes that I already use now, but have never put them in the...freezer.

WHY does it state in the description, on air and in video presentation that the "jams" can ONLY be stored in the fridge for 3 WEEKS??? Does it go "bad" after just THREE weeks? I have only Organic Jams that we buy and they stay good....for A LOT LONGER!!!

And lastly, WHY? and what would be the "significant"....DIFFERENCE in doing the long more difficult way of boiling the jars and all that hard work, when everyone can just do it this way?? IF, all I need is "pectin" and some Ball Jars, well, confused as to why I would need to purchase this set???

Just confused{#emotions_dlg.confused1}. Anyone with any answers out there? Hubby thinks?? it must be either/or both, the "kind" of pectin and the "type" of jars that are being presented???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

smiles

moondust

Contributor

Re: Ball No-Cook Fruit Jam Kit

Okay, sorry, the video I had been watching, was the "older" one where there was NO "mention" in regards to the...pectin. David just stated in this last presentation, that you could buy the pectin just about anywhere.

Feel kinda silly with that part of my above post{#emotions_dlg.blush}.

I do however, am still wondering about the ONLY "3 WEEK" shelf life in the fridge?? And, "if" the jars are the SAME Ball Jars that I already have a ton of (but mine have the Metal Tops, not the Plastic Ones in the kit), could I just buy some Pectin and use the Jars I Already have from Ball and use THEM in the Freezer???

Help!!!

Trusted Contributor

After some web sleuthing, I hope the following answers a couple of your questions.

From garden web dot com:

All standard canning jars (Ball and Kerr) can safely be placed in the freezer. Jars take up a lot of freezer space and are somewhat dangerous because they CAN and DO break easily.

Ball recommends that you use the straight sided, slightly larger at the top jars for freezing. The ones with shoulders can crack as the contents expand

From National Center for Food Preservation:

or you can use good, old-fashioned Mason jars.

If you decide to use Mason jars, a word of caution: Do not use glassware with "shoulders," or a curvature in the jar just beneath the lid. Instead, use straight-sided jars with a wide mouth. When you freeze liquids, they expand inside the container and push against any curves or shape differences. In the case of glass jars, this can cause breakage and a sticky, razor-sharp mess in your freezer.

Freezer jams also have to be stored in the refrigerator after thawing and will only retain good quality for 3 to 4 weeks after opening. They are subject to more syneresis (“weeping” or separation of liquid from the gel) than cooked jams and jellies.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

What I know from my search last summer.... The freezer jars are slightly different in shape(as per the above post) and to me seem a bit thicker? They only last a short time in the fridge because you are not canning them. You are really just 'storing' them. I have not seen the qvc presentation but you can buy the jars and pectin(just look for no cook pectin) at Walmart. I did a cooked quick jam(only a couple berries at the end of the season) and chose to not can it, just stored in a smaller jar in the fridge. Even that I didn't want hanging out too long in there. I'm going to check out the qvc item to see price. The jars are slightly more expensive than regular jars in my walmart(smaller jars for same price as larger non freezer ones)
Respected Contributor

I've been putting jars in the freezer forever. Shredded cheese is one thing that always goes in a jar. If it's certain things I put in the fridge to cool down and then in the freezer with no lid until frozen. (soups, etc)

Freezer jam is so good, and I would say the jars are no different than the ones you already have. The kit is just convenient.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

The pectin is instant pectin -- it does not require cooking, and it is available at many stores.

Glass jars can b frozen. Straight-sided jars are better for freezing. Remember to allow for expansion.

The jam can only be refrigerated for three weeks due to food safety issues. You are using fresh fruit only and not cooking it. If you want to keep it long-term, you need to freeze it. If yo really want to keep it long-term, make regular jam which involves cooking and then canning (which is why the james you buy can last much longer -- cooking pasteurizes the food and kills the bacteria).

Honored Contributor

It's just freezer jam you can store in the freezer for a yr or so & keeps in the fridge for 3 wks. You can always take it out of the freezer let it set out a bit & take out what you will use up in 3 wks & put it back in the freezer. You don't need the kit to make it. You can buy pectin at any grocery store. If you want to do the all the canning & work involved this site has all the info you need. http://www.pickyourown.org/jam.htm and lots of different recipes for jams & jellies. http://pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm

No-Cook Strawberry Freezer Jam

2 cups crushed berries

4 cups sugar

1/4 cup water

1 box pectin

Remove strawberry caps. Crush berries one layer at a time.

Combine fruit and sugar. Mix thoroughly and let stand 10 minutes.

Combine 1 box of pectin and water in a small saucepan. Boil hard 1 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add pectin mixture to fruit. Stir 3 minutes.

Ladle into clean 8oz jelly jars or freezer jam jars, leaving 1/2? headspace. Adjust caps. Let stand until set, not to exceed 24 hours.

Store in freezer. May be stored in refrigerator up to three weeks.

Trusted Contributor

I got this kit and it is fun to do. I made one batch of strawberry-raspberry-peach jam and it made 2 jars. I put one in the freezer to take to my folks and enjoyed the other one. It says if you are freezing it, to leave room at the top for expansion, which I did. It tastes wonderful, but it does NOT get as thick as "real" jam, but is fine for toast or muffins. In fact, it is more like a thick sauce and tastes wonderful on ice cream of angel food cake. I used the instant pectin that came with the kit, but ordered more from Amazon. I also ordered smaller jars, which I now found I can get at Target or Walmart. I used a very small amount of Splenda Blend (no where NEAR the 4 cups as mentioned in the recipe above) -maybe 1/2 cup - it was from the recipe book included in the kit. I enjoyed making this and just keep getting new bags of frozen fruit to use. I think the next one will be a cherry-berry mix. Hope that helps!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been making freezer jam for years, and I've never needed any kind of "kit". Just the regular Ball jars, the fruit, sugar, and a box of Sure-Jell Fruit Pectin from the grocery store (and sometimes lemon juice depending on the type of fruit). You really don't need a "kit", and the shipping cost added on to that. The Sure-Jell box has recipes for both freezer jam and cooked jam, and for all kinds of fruit. I have also used jelly jars that I've saved from the grocery store... they're all fine in the freezer, or you can use plastic containers as well.. You just need to leave about 1/2" of space at the top when you fill them for the jam to expand. The Sure-Jell recipes make 5-6 jars of jam (jelly jar size).

Other than the time you take to prepare the fruit, it only takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. You do mix the pectin with water and cook for about a minute before adding it to the fruit/sugar mixture. Once done, you then let the jars of jam sit on your counter for 24 hours before putting in the freezer. I've kept mine in the freezer for more than a year... I've made both strawberry and peach. I take a jar out and keep it in the fridge, and I usually use it up within a couple of weeks. Or you can take a jar out of the freezer and let it sit out for a while, then stir it a little. It never really freezes hard so that you can't get a spoon in it.

Since I discovered freezer jam, I refuse to buy strawberry jam or preserves from the store. This looks and tastes like fresh fruit, and it's wonderful! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

You absolutely don't need this set to make your freezer jam; any Ball or Kerr jelly jars will work, and Sure Jell is easy to find. Buying local will be much cheaper than this kit.