Occasional Contributor
I love this product but, I have already thrown one container away because i could not remove the lid (it was just laying on top not locked) Now Chris says to flip the lid over which I did not see or hear when I first got them. But my question is how to remove a tomato base stain? I poured some soup in to heat up and now I have one stained, any suggestions on the clean up. Thanks
Valued Contributor

There is another thread about this from January 2012...and no one had a real CURE for it, except to maybe use the stained pieces for just tomato-based foods, and keep the others in a different place/cabinet.. Others talked about their items getting pits in them, and that's covered below. I found the airplane hint interesting - I may not have thought of that one :

Lock n Lock Site had this:

Microwave use

• Lids should be removed before use in the microwave

• Avoid closing lid straight after reheating

• Lock & Lock is microwave safe for reheating purposes only

• Do not use in conventional oven or on hot plates

• Avoid reheating food high in oil, sugar, tomatoes, curries to prevent from staining and pitting

Freezer use

• When removing from freezer, leave it at room temperature prior to opening

• Do not cause impact immediately after removing from freezer

• Do not fill the container to it's full capacity General use

• Do not store hot food or carbonated drinks

• Due to air pressurization, avoid storing food on a airplane

- See more at: http://locknlock.in/use_and_care.aspx#sthash.FMEaCrXS.dpuf

Honored Contributor

I thought LnL products resisted such stains. Couid have sworn it was one of Chris' selling points.

Trusted Contributor

LnL does resist such stains, but it is not stain proof. Heating tomato products on high heat in a microwave is a surefire way to stain it because is no longer reheating, it is cooking.

It has been my experience that few people utilize the lower power levels for warming things in the microwave. I generally reheat things or even soften butter at 50% power. It takes longer, but the results are superior.

Honored Contributor

I bought a plastic stain remover at wal-mart in the dishwasher detergent aisle. It comes in a tube, kinda like toothpaste. You rub a little over the area, run it through the dishwasher and it comes out clear. It's something like $4. I don't remember the brand.

Occasional Contributor

The plastic toothpaste size product is called CASCADE Booster 2-in-1 plastic cleaning additive. It is red & white & comes in a 6.8 oz. container. I had a hard time finding it so I went on Amazon or Ebay. I finally found it.

Removes RED STAIN & odors

Cleans & freshens dishwashers

Valued Contributor

I just keep the already stained ones to use for tomato based things (and to store my chilis in adobo in). I also try to use the glass L&Ls for tomato based things once I figured out I had a problem. I tried the Cascade Booster recommended by iberish with mixed results. I am just more careful now with tomato and greasy things. I LOVE L&L and have way more than a normal person should...

Honored Contributor

It's a good idea, that Ceekay mentioned, to have some of the L&L borosilicate glass ones for microwave use. It's the great kind of glass that Pyrex used to use in all of their glass products. Sadly Pyrex went to the soda lime (I believe that's what it's called) glass, which I suppose must be cheaper but it's also less integrous. I'm glad that L&L uses the borosilicate glass. It's worthwhile to have some of those.

I know that they drone on and on about using L&L in the microwave, but the thing they seem to avoid sharing is the fact that this kind of plastic WILL stain, pit, and peel eventually with microwave use. I think a lot of us learned that with Tupperware back in the day.

Knowing that, I've never used any of my plastic L&L in the microwave because I know what to expect from that kind of plastic. I either use glass, stoneware that is NOT made in China, or I have numerous pieces of Tupperware's Rock n Serve pieces. They are the other type of hard plastic that will stay the same forever - it doesn't stain and it won't peel, cloud, or pit. I wouldn't' store food in it, but it's perfect for using in the microwave.

I wish the people on QVC would just make the point that L&L is superior for food storage, or non-food storage for that matter, and stay away from the whole microwave thing because people believe them and then wonder why it's staining and pitting with microwave use.

Occasional Contributor
THANKS TO ALL, I wish I would have researched before I put the soup in the microwave! What a great group of people on here.
Occasional Contributor

I spray my L & L with Pam before I put my food in. That has worked for me.