Trusted Contributor

Please give me your best recipe for a pot roast with gravy.

I do not make good gravy. My mother always put slits in the roast and added garlic and parsley and salt and pepper, nothing else and the gravy turned out great. In a cookbook I have, it said to add sliced onion, carrots, tomatoes and celery root. How do you do it, thank you for any replies.

Miata 1

Honored Contributor

Re: Please give me your best recipe for a pot roast with gravy.

I coat my chuck roast in seasoned flour (I only use salt and pepper), and brown on both sides in oil in my dutch oven. Once both sides are nicely brown, I add several onions, and cover the roast in beef broth. I then put the lid on the pot, and put it into a 325 degree oven for 4 hours---no peaking. At the end of the 4 hours, I remove the roast from the pot, heat the broth to boiling, season with more salt and pepper, and add a thickening mixture of cornstarch and water. If my family is in the mood for pot roast with tomato gravy, I break up a can of whole tomatoes and add them with the beef broth, or add tomato juice with the beef broth.

Honored Contributor

I like to sear the roast in a frying pan first & deglaze the pan with some beef broth & put in the slow cooker & pour it over it, add a can of cream of mushroom soup, onions, carrots, potatoes, salt & pepper. It makes a yummy gravy.

Valued Contributor

I know this sounds too easy, but it really works. (My sister gave me this recipe.) Just pour a can of Campbell's Beefy Mushroom soup over the unbrowned pot roast in a roasting pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and roast for 3-4 hours (300 degree oven) until falling-apart tender. The soup makes a really tasty gravy, and you usually don't even have to add any thickener.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your recipes. They all sound great. It was nice of you to take the time to answer me. I will definitely try them.

Miata 1

Regular Contributor

You MUST give this recipe a try! I do a lot of cooking--mostly all from scratch; a good friend told me about this, I made it and was blown away by the flavor! You can make it either in a slow cooker or low temp. in the oven. You will not be disappointed! 3 to 5lb. Beef roast (I have used, chuck, sirloin tip, bottom round and rump) 1pkg. Good Seasons dry Italian salad dressing 1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dry salad dressing 1 pkg. brown gravy mix. 4 cups of water Brown meat, stir all the dry ingredients with the water, place the rost in slow cooker or Dutch oven, pour mixture on top, cover and cook. In the slow cooker, 8 hrs. on low. In the oven 275* for about 4 or five hours. ENJOY!
Honored Contributor

I sear the roast on each side. The I use a cooking bag (the ones that include the pot roast seasoning). Cook until tender.

Respected Contributor

This is the best and it makes its own gravy. Basically no need for water just use the onion soup powder mix and pour a bottle of catalina salad dressing over the roast. OMG tastes like restaurant quality. No joke

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/prairieland-pot-roast-75576.aspx

Super Contributor

This is a recipe I've made many times. The gravy is good even without the sour cream added.

Country Style Pot Roast

Honored Contributor

I usually make it with the mr soup and onion soup. Never thought about the Catalina. Know DH would like it. I also throw in a soup can of red wine.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man