Respected Contributor

can you recommend an eggnog that's not too sweet?

I'm the only one in my house who likes eggnog, and I only drink it a couple of times during the holidays. I've had Kroger's house brand and Borden's and both were way too sweet. I don't want to go through the hassle of making it just for myself, so has anyone found a brand that tastes really good and not overly sweet?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

Re: can you recommend an eggnog that's not too sweet?

First let me tell you i am not a big egg nog fan, i've always found it way too sweet. This year my sister brought me some nog made with coconut milk. It's not nearly as sweet and it's much better for you. Made by So by coconut milk. Small container so if its just you, it should be enough.
Super Contributor

I like the Southern Comfort brand Traditional Egg Nog. It's not overly sweet and has a nice blend of spices. It doesn't have any alcohol in it, but they have a recipe for adding So Co to it.

Contributor

Another vote for Southern Comfort. It's nice and thick too.

Valued Contributor

I just had Trader Joe's for the first time and found it to be perfect. Not too seet.

Respected Contributor

thanks for the suggestions. we don't have a Trader Joe,so I guess that's out. the So brand sounds interesting, and I guess I could probably find it in the organic or specialty section of the store. I've never heard of Southern Comfort eggnog but I'm intrigued. now I wonder where I could find it? the only grocery store near me is Kroger.....I'll have to check.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

Have to say I hate eggnog,lol. But on a show last week I saw someone melt good quality vanilla ice cream and add a little bourbon and called it eggnog. Everyone said it was delicious.
Honored Contributor

I don't like thick eggnog so I usually dilute it with milk. That reduces the amount of sweetness too.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 12/20/2014 Mochahoney said:

thanks for the suggestions. we don't have a Trader Joe,so I guess that's out. the So brand sounds interesting, and I guess I could probably find it in the organic or specialty section of the store. I've never heard of Southern Comfort eggnog but I'm intrigued. now I wonder where I could find it? the only grocery store near me is Kroger.....I'll have to check.

Mochahoney, I found mine in the dairy section and my store is Dillon's which is a Kroger chain. I would be surprised if your store didn't carry it. It comes in a 1 QT black cardboard container with white writing. Hope you enjoy it if you try it.

Trusted Contributor

I mix it with skim milk, 50/50. This also cuts the calories way down.