Honored Contributor

Sad season for many food manufacturers here at Q

First the horrible fire at the Harry London facility in Ohio that dampened the company's spirits and ability to get their product to market for the holiday season.

Now the caramel apple warnings from the CDC causing concern for the Mrs. Prindables line.

I'm so sorry that two very respectable and wonderful companies have had to face the incredible losses to profits and reputation this season. I know their overall company financial strength relies heavily on this season's sales to provide good jobs to people here in the United States. These companies are providing work right here in the US, and giving what so many of us are requesting, American made products from American workers.

I'm just so sad that these companies are being affected by such circumstances this season, and hope they area able to weather the storm, and not have it adversely affect their employees ability to earn a living and support their families.

Best wishes and hope for success in the coming new year, to all those in these companies that have been affected.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sad season for many food manufacturers here at Q

I just took a look at my title, and know someone is going to question the use of the word "many". I did so because while there are just two companies here at the Q I am referring to, those companies purchase from and supply to other companies that may now be feeling the adverse affects of the two incidents. Something like this usually has a chain effect, and is felt as it ripples throughout the pond.

Trusted Contributor

I completely agree with you. Very sad indeed. I had to throw my apples away. And, I feel terrible for all of those workers who may have to suffer at the hands of fate.

Super Contributor

I read Mrs. Prindables wasn't on the list. Their product is supposedly OK. There is some information on the blog.

Esteemed Contributor

While I have purchased prepared foods from The Q I can visit my local candy store for either chocolates or apples.

I trust their products, they've been in business for years and they struggle to stay in business.

Honored Contributor

Not that I'm a fan (cuz I'm not!), but the Mrs Prindables brand has been getting a bad rap on this board with this situation, since they are NOT one of the manufacturers listed or recalled.

Esteemed Contributor

Price gouging and poor products

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 chickenbutt said:

Not that I'm a fan (cuz I'm not!), but the Mrs Prindables brand has been getting a bad rap on this board with this situation, since they are NOT one of the manufacturers listed or recalled.

At this point, there is NO LIST of what is or is not safe, as they really don't have a handle on what is in the products that contain the Listeria. Any companies mentioned so far are not to be considered all inclusive because the source of the bacteria is as of yet, unknown. Just because any particular manufacturer is not yet listed does not mean they are safe.

The CDC is recommending not to eat ANY COMMERCIALLY PRODUCED CARAMEL APPLES. Mrs Prindables falls into that category.

Respected Contributor

These are products I would tend to buy locally.

Honored Contributor

Oh, good grief. The companies are insured. Save your sympathy for the workers whose jobs were impacted. It's just candy, people can buy candy anywhere.