Honored Contributor
I want to serve at Christmas dinner with the turkey but wa wondering if I could prepare them the day before and just bake Christmas day?My MIL always said that they shouldn't be done ahead.
Super Contributor

I don't know what you mean by "cabbage rolls". I make stuffed cabbage with pork, beef, sometimes turkey and rice mixed together. I roll them in cabbage leaves. I usually make at least 50 of them; freeze them in bags of a family serving. We'll be using them for at least 4 months. I usually mixed 1 lb of beef, almost 3/4 of pork, and 3/4 to 1 lb of turkey. Lots of uncooked rice and onions, celery, a carrot sauted and mixed in. I do mine in large pots on the top of the stove and sometimes in the oven. I use all of the cabbage after I roll them in the leaves; cut it up and line the pot with cabbage and sometimes sauerkraut. I pour a qt. of tomatoe juice in each large pot and cook them until the rice is soft (about 2 hrs.).

Frequent Contributor

Yes, you can prepare them in advance. You can even cook them beforehand (I do mine on the stovetop), let them cool, and store them in the fridge and then reheat before serving.

Respected Contributor

I do mine on top of the stove as well. When I make a potful, I reheat them with no problem.

Trusted Contributor

Yes you can ...they will be fine.

Jessa
Honored Contributor
Thanks everyone...my mother inlaw said you had to make them the day you wanted to serve them or they would be soggy.
Honored Contributor

I do this all the time but I cook them and serve the next day---seems to intensify the flavors. Cannot make them like my mom did however---hers were so incredible!!!

Super Contributor
Okay. So now I want a few good recipes. Lol
Honored Contributor
On 12/21/2014 D Oro said: Okay. So now I want a few good recipes. Lol

Mine are pretty darn easy to make and a real hit in my family.

This would be a typical recipe amount for 4 adults.

First you have to steam the cabbage. I cut off the bottom core and peel away the first couple of outer layers and toss. Then I peel back leaves as carefully as possible so not to tear (but it's okay!) and I steam in a speck of water with a pinch of salt (salt in water not necessary). When they are pretty well wilted I drain in a colander and let cool off.

I take about two lbs of ground beef (you can also use the beef pork veal mixture). Always use it fresh from the supermarket, never after I've frozen and defrosted it. That's just me, tho. lol

All I add to the ground meat is about 1 or 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, some sea salt and cracked pepper. But feel free to add Italian seasoning, sautéed celery, onions, whatever you like along with your spaghetti sauce dishes. Even a ladle of tomato sauce is good.

I mold the 'patties' in the shape of long ovals (think russet potato shapes). But you can do round (huge!) meatball shapes instead.

I wrap each 'loaf' in one or two cabbage leaves. Just so the meat is completely covered with cabbage. I lay them in an oblong baking dish and pour two jars of spaghetti sauce (I use Organicville Tomato and Basil) till you can't see the cabbage rolls at all. Bake for an hour and a half at 350*.

Depending on size you make them, you usually yield about 3-4 per pound of ground meat.

They are delicious with mashed potatoes (made with sour cream, cream cheese, milk and butter of course!), salad and rolls or bread.

Recommended walking 10K steps that day!

Super Contributor

dex,

What does your MIL mean that the rolls will get "soggy"? I prepare my cabbage by steaming it in a large pot and taking off the leaves one at a time when they're soft enough to fill and roll. You can't roll cabbage without cooking it first. What's her cabbage rolls like????