Honored Contributor

$200 for a 5# prime rib roast----whhaaattt!!!!!!

turned the channel to HSN yesterday in time to see a 5-6 lb prime roast that was priced at $199.99-------really?/????? NOW that is what I want for my gift drawer!!!!!!! Maybe 2 {#emotions_dlg.w00t} !

Respected Contributor

Re: $200 for a 5# prime rib roast----whhaaattt!!!!!!

For tbat price, I hope the chef came with it.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Haven't bought a rib roast for years, so I wouldn't even know comparison prices.

I do know I was astounded the other day when I went to buy one portion of fish to bake for my dinner and saw how many different fishes they had costing around $25/pound. And in the next case, cuts of beef over $30/pound. That's not usual, so I'm thinking lots of people splurge this time of year even if they don't always spend that kind of money to eat.

Super Contributor

My supermarket has them on sale starting tomorrow for $5.99 lb. Even at regular prices, nowhere near that price and it's not like some specialty item you can't buy anywhere else.

Trusted Contributor

I am sure they are selling this as a Natural product, with no this and that, just as Q sold $100 + price for a turkey.......It is what is in demand..........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

100% all-natural beef

No animal by-products, antibiotics or artificial growth stimulants

Livestock raised on small farms in the heartland of America and fed a wholesome 100% vegetarian diet of corn and soy

Great-tasting meats starts with how the animals are raised

Approx. 10 servings total

Made in USA

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Was it kobe beef?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

yikes

Honored Contributor

There was a local cooking show (I think it was the Wolf Kitchen cooking show or something like that) and a year or two ago they cooked a prime rib (prime quality) that was about two feet long and probably weighed twenty to thirty pounds. It was the most gorgeous hunk of beef I've ever seen, but I'm betting you'd have to mortgage the house to buy it. They never said what it cost, though they did say it was an investment. I'd be shocked if it didn't cost more than $50 a pound. It was a gorgeous chunk of meat.

There's a company called Allen Brothers who specialize in prime quality meat and their prices are up there a bit. Dry aged prime rib roasts from them cost $219 for three ribs, $299 for four ribs, and $369 for seven ribs.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Beef prices are very high, so I'm a bit apprehensive to see what we'll have to pay for our traditional Christmas "roast beast" this year. But $200? No way.

Respected Contributor