Respected Contributor

Forrestwolf and all bread makers here, speaking of english muffins...

I saw your thread about Wolferman's English muffins, which I have never heard of. I was looking on the King Arthur's Flour website and saw that they have an English muffin mix and the baking rings. I've never made my own English muffins and was just wondering if anyone here has ever made them. I read the reviews of the mix and although almost everyone said the taste is so much better than any commercial muffin, some also commented how sticky and difficult the dough is to work with.

do any of you make your own? scratch, or mix?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

Re: Forrestwolf and all bread makers here, speaking of english muffins...

I personally have never made homemade English muffins, and I will say, that when I have bought non fork split muffins, and had to cut them myself, it does take away from the texture and insides that I like.....I know, hard to explain, but you lose the nooks and crannies, as described by Thomas, and that is why I have questioned about Wolferman's, as I do not want to do away with that texture........Kiss I have made English muffin bread, but that takes on a totally different texture to me......Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

lots easier than using the rings!!!!

Microwave English Muffin Loaf

Grease a glass loaf pan (8.5X4.5) then sprinkle with cornmeal.

In a bowl put :

2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1/8 t. baking soda
Mix the dry ingredients.
Heat 1 cup milk and 1/4 c water to 120*-130*.
Add the wet to the dry ingredients. Stir well, put in the prepared pan, sprinkle with a little cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.

Bake in the microwave for:

800 Watt Oven- 4:53

900 Watt Oven- 4:20

1000 Watt Oven- 3:54

1100 Watt Oven- 3:33

1200 Watt Oven- 3:15

After baking let rest for 5 minutes, cool on a wire rack.
The bread won't be brown, just slice and put in the toaster. Makes great cinnamon toast or sandwiches. I doubled the recipe and made 2 loaves today!!! Bake loaves one at a time if recipe is doubled.

Honored Contributor

I have had a set of those rings for about 35 years and have made them many times and they were easy and good! It was fun but I haven't done it in years!

Frequent Contributor

I've made English Muffins for ??? years. I use the recipe found in Peter Reinhart's "Bread Bakers Apprentice". Both Mrs Camo and friends claim they are better than any commercial brand.

I use WP's large griddle/grill to begin with and finish them in a pre-heated oven. While they taste better, they aren't as convenient as opening a package of Thomas's English Muffins. You owe it to yourself to at least try homemade once. You just might find it worth the extra effort!

Enjoy!

Camo

Respected Contributor

thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'll give it a try. at least once!

it's just something I've been curious about. the best commercial English muffins I've had are the Thomas muffins, but then, other than store brands I really don't recall ever seeing any other brand.

I'll start with a mix ( I'm not quite as confident as y'all seem to be about your baking skills) and see how it goes.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the loaf recipe. Smiley Happy I've never made the muffins or the loaf, but I've had a recipe for one for a long time now, just begging me to make it!
Respected Contributor

I would also like to make crumpets, similar but good too!

I eat Bay's English Muffins with multi-grains. They are healthy and tasty too!

Super Contributor

Barbara, will the recipe work with Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat flour? It sounds yummy and easy.

Respected Contributor

I've never tried Whole Wheat Flour, it might make it dense. As it is, it is really good. Love to toast a slice, slather it in butter and jelly.

It makes a great sandwich, just toast lightly or however you like it and make a sandwich.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}