Honored Contributor

Masterchef Jr - Amazed at these children!

I don't know if anyone watches this show BUT I certainly do not know any child (now or in my younger days!) that can do the cooking these kids do let alone myself!!! My husband seems to think these kids have had some type of formal training prior to this show. What do you think? These kids are amazing!
Valued Contributor

Re: Masterchef Jr - Amazed at these children!

I watch it and totally agree with your hubby. There's no way these cutie pies know that much about cooking before going on the show. I do love the way they apply the knowledge though.

Contributor

I started cooking when I was ten All kids just need to be taught
Honored Contributor

On 12/10/2014 genniem said: I started cooking when I was ten All kids just need to be taught
Me too but I could never filet a whole salmon at 10 yrs old (or 8 for that matter)!
Valued Contributor

My 16 yr old son and I love to watch that show together. I have to agree with your husband that I think the kids are shown a demo of the recipe and then asked to make it. I could be 100% wrong, I was cooking for my mom when I was very young, and I made beef stew, Italian pastries, cakes from scratch...

I think the kids are amazing/mature/talented. My son and I really look forward to the new episodes. Master Chef Canada is fun too! Love these shows!

Honored Contributor

I think it is not just knowing how to cook, it is the thought and ingenuity these kids show. I think they are a bit exceptional. They are well spoken for the most part, and able to work under pressure. I like the way they interact with their competitors as well. Great show, cute kids..

I think they have been trained and coached by their parents prior to being in the show. They probably are given run throughs, ideas. Their parents most likely coach them well, just as they would for a test or a speech/ JMHO

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the little girl, I think her name was Oona, who said: "I'm not a maestro of pancake flippery"!

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

It's fantastic and I adore them!

Everyone has at least one innate talent, whether they've had professional training (doubt it) or experience in the kitchen.

Many kids have been studying their grandparent's or parents' when they were cooking and/or baking, and some have learned how-to's since they were very little.

Experts say that it's very empowering for children to know how food grows, and to always be included in the preparation. It helps them get - and stay - healthier. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Especially with the tragic obesity epidemic that now starts at kindergarten age.

Regular Contributor

I LOVE this show and especially the children. I cried tonight when little 8 year old Abby had to go. She is a precious little girl!

Regular Contributor

Love to watch them and see that Gordon Ramsey is not his normal nasty self when with the children. There is another childrens cooking show at another time of the year on the food channel with the lady with the weird wild hair and a man forming teams of the children and trying to beat each other. LOve that one too,

What would the nasty people on the food present discussion think about these talented children -- they hate children and animals in the kitchen -- maybe in their lives.