Esteemed Contributor

Temptations Dinnerware and excessive cracking and chipping of plates.

My sister bought settings for 16 and so many of the pieces she has thrown away.

Is there a secret to getting this stuff not to break.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Temptations Dinnerware and excessive cracking and chipping of plates.

hopi, why did she toss them? Why didn't she return them for a refund?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I think the secret is never to buy them now or in the future. Too many problems that should never occur.

Honored Contributor

There are many things that could be happening, but in essence, what I have found is that TT or any other ceramic needs to be handled more carefully than the way they are described as "work horses in my kitchen" by Tara on air.

Some things that can shorten the life of stoneware are

Soaking in water. Not a good thing. The unglazed areas will absorb water and lead to crazing and cracking.

Dishwasher are hard on dishes. Period. Very high temps, lots of water. I don't have one, but have seen repeatedly how hard they are on dishes, glasses, and flatware.

Stoneware can't be banged and bumped, or it will chip or weaken the glazing if not done properly. The unfinished bottoms scratch the other pieces when stacking.

There are varying qualities of stoneware, even among the 'made in China' brands. Some are better than others. Temp-tations dinnerware in particular (as opposed to some of the baking pieces) have not held up well for me. I've thrown out many pieces from crazing, but haven't had problems with chipping unless I really banged them against something. The quality just isn't there.

In all fairness, I have some made in America brands that have had this happen over the years too.

And getting the pieces replaced costs a $10 shipping fee. I have decided when mine are gone (I have had them since first introduced) there will be no more of TT dinnerware for me. I will use them until I no longer have enough to make a set, and I will donate the remaining pieces and move on.

Trusted Contributor

Well said regarding life of stoneware, mominohio! I bought a set of Bobby Flay stoneware and everything I read about it had similar comments - it chips easily. Well, I've had it now for 8 months and see only one tiny chip on the side of one plate. The rest of my 16 place settings are in pristine shape. I wash them in the dishwasher and when I take them out and put them in the cabinet, I'm mindful of not knocking them around or hitting them against each other, etc. I think the way you take care of them makes a difference, too.

Speaking of Temp-tations, I'm one of those who have had lots of pieces for years and no breakage or wear problems. I am totally pleased with the brand and will continue to buy as needed.

I'm editing this to say that I didn't want to infer that the OP's sister doesn't take care of her dishes. I'm just telling my experience with using stoneware and Temp-tations.

Respected Contributor

I suggest Emile Henry, you get what you pay for.

Honored Contributor

There is no excuse for such shabby quality. Those dishes aren't so cheap that they should be throwaways. Several years ago someone posted here on the boards about a set of Christmas dishes that was available through a department store. The service for four was $3.99 with free shipping....now that's cheap.

I ordered a set and use it year around to save wear and tear on my expensive set and since I live alone, who cares? Not one of these dishes has gotten a single chip or any other fault. It looks just like it did the day I got it. I can't imagine why people keep buying Temptations.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 12/11/2014 Kachina624 said:

There is no excuse for such shabby quality. Those dishes aren't so cheap that they should be throwaways. Several years ago someone posted here on the boards about a set of Christmas dishes that was available through a department store. The service for four was $3.99 with free shipping....now that's cheap.

I ordered a set and use it year around to save wear and tear on my expensive set and since I live alone, who cares? Not one of these dishes has gotten a single chip or any other fault. It looks just like it did the day I got it. I can't imagine why people keep buying Temptations.

because mine havent chipped or cracked and they work well and look good on my table?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

On 12/11/2014 Shogirl said:

I bought a set of Bobby Flay stoneware and everything I read about it had similar comments - it chips easily. Well, I've had it now for 8 months and see only one tiny chip on the side of one plate. The rest of my 16 place settings are in pristine shape. I wash them in the dishwasher and when I take them out and put them in the cabinet, I'm mindful of not knocking them around or hitting them against each other, etc. I think the way you take care of them makes a difference, too.

Speaking of Temp-tations, I'm one of those who have had lots of pieces for years and no breakage or wear problems. I am totally pleased with the brand and will continue to buy as needed.

I'm editing this to say that I didn't want to infer that the OP's sister doesn't take care of her dishes. I'm just telling my experience with using stoneware and Temp-tations.

Thanks for letting us know what your experience with Temp-tations have been like! Millions have had the same experience as you & continue to enjoy TT everyday!! I, too, have been using Temp-tations for years now with absolutely NO problems! I put my bigger casserole bake wear into the dishwasher and usually hand washing the others and have not had any "sticking" problems either!

Valued Contributor

On 12/11/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I suggest Emile Henry, you get what you pay for.

I agree with you and so must millions of other Temp-tation lovers!! The cost of TT is so affordable and you get so much!!