Respected Contributor

My FAVORITE Congealed Salad for Thanksgiving and Christmas This is sooo goood. YUM YUM

7-Up Cranberry Salad

1/2 c boiling water

2 (3oz) Raspberry jello

1 c 7-Up

Dissolve Jello in water, then add 7-Up. Put in refrig. to set up a little. Then add:

1 can Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce

1 large can crushed pineapple (drain and SAVE juice)

2 cans Mandarin oranges (drain and THROW Away juice)

1/2 c chopped nuts (Walnuts or Pecans)

Put all in a 9 by 13 inch pan and put in the refrig to set up.

TOPPING

8 oz cream cheese

some of the pineapple juice

some powdered sugar

Mix together and put on top of set up salad.

Hope you enjoy!! This recipe came from my MOM Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: My FAVORITE Congealed Salad for Thanksgiving and Christmas This is sooo goood. YUM YUM

This is so refreshing to eat. Can be served as a side dish or dessert!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: My FAVORITE Congealed Salad for Thanksgiving and Christmas This is sooo goood. YUM YUM

Sounds really, REALLY good! Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Congealed salad......That's an unappetizing term. I think they call them Jello salad. In the summer , when we were kids, my mom made Jello fruit salads. She used fruit cocktail and she didn't use nuts or a topping. My dad topped his with cottage cheese.
Esteemed Contributor

This sounds delicious. It seems like it could be served without the topping as a side dish, and with the topping for a sweeter dessert. I've been thinking about doing something like this - thanks for posting!

Respected Contributor

My mom used to make that salad and I loved it....and it also reminds me is the beautiful gelatin or aspic molds she had. Some were copper-and when we moved in the 70's she gave them away....argh! I wish I had them! Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor

That sounds yummy. I make a similar salad with cranberry jello (when I can find it), with crushed pineapple, mandarin orange sections, and chopped pecans mixed in. I make the jello with half the amount of water specified on the package and add the juice from the pineapple and oranges, and stir in the fruit and nuts. I top the salad after the jello has set with a layer of softened cream cheese and Hellman's mayonnaise mixed together. My family likes this better than traditional cranberry sauce; it's a holiday staple at our house.

Valued Contributor

Barbara, it sounds delish. I am not usually a fan of many conjealed salads but this sounds like one I should try!

What size can of mandarin oranges do you use? My grocery store carries two sizes.

Thanks for your recipe.

Regular Contributor

I make the same thing except I use fresh cranberries. I heat them up on the stove with 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice from the crushed pineapple and oranges until the cranberries pop open. Cool them down and fix the Jell-O salad.

I have fixed the nuts crushed on top, no topping and I've done nuts inside with topping. I like cut up crushed pecans on top and cut up pecans inside without topping. Then the next day I use it as spread for my turkey and dressing sandwiches.

Respected Contributor

We make a similar salad, only difference is lime jello and no cranberries. I agree it's really great to have a salad like this.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero