Honored Contributor

Can I make muffins with Pumpkin Pie Mix? I bought it by mistake.

Two questions -

Can I make muffins with canned PP mix?

Does anyone have a light and airy recipe for pumpkin muffins?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I make muffins with Pumpkin Pie Mix? I bought it by mistake.

Sure, it should pose no problem at all. It's just pumpkin with the spices already added. You might have to adjust or omit the spices in the recipe so that you don't overdo it.

Wonderful Pumpkin Muffins

Makes: 12
Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place 12 paper liners into each well of your standard size muffin baking pan.
  2. Measure out the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt and spices in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together. Do not over mix, just stir until everything is incorporated into the batter.
  5. It is helpful to use a large scoop (like an ice cream scoop) to evenly distribute the batter into each well. They will be nearly full. This will help give your muffins a nice puffy dome.
  6. Bake your muffins for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Honored Contributor

I don't have any answers but would like to reserve a muffin pls. Thank you

Frequent Contributor

We make Elie Krieger's Pumpkin Pie Muffins all year long. They're delectable and healthy, but you wouldn't know it by eating it!

PS-They're completely fool-proof! SO if you don't have all the ingredients at hand, it still works! Or just substitute your own likes. It's REALLY a non-finicky recipe. (I even use more of the pumpkin than it calls for, and I don't always have whole wheat flour, or cloves....you get the picture)

Pumpkin Pie Muffins

Cooking spray
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-grain pastry flour or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup unsalted raw pumpkin seeds

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, the baking soda, salt, and spices.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, molasses, oil, and one of the eggs until combined. Add the other egg and whisk well. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the buttermilk, just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each one about two-thirds full, and sprinkle the surface of each with the pumpkin seeds. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

Honored Contributor

This is from Foster's Market!! It is outrageously good. Their recipes are amongst my tried and true. They are quality baked goods. You can make 2 dozen muffins, or a Bundt cake, or 2 loafs. If you have pumpkin pie mix, just don't add all the spices. That is all that is in it besides pumpkin!

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

<h2>Directions:</h2>
  1. 1
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2
    Grease and lightly flour two 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pans or one 12 cup bundt pan. (Or line 24 muffin cups with paper muffin cup liners).
  3. 3
    Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside.
  4. 4
    Whisk together the sugar, eggs, and oil in a separate bowl until well blended. Stir in the pumpkin, water and vanilla and mix well.
  5. 5
    Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir just until all the ingredients are moist. Do not over mix.
  6. 6
    Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean (start checking at about the 45 minute mark). If making muffins, bake for about 15 minutes.
  7. 7
    Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pans.

Super Contributor
Honored Contributor

Not the same as pumpkin puree......donate it to a food bank.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Pumpkin pie mix is different than canned pumpkin puree. It has milk, spices, and sugar in it. If you don't want to follow the pie recipe on the can-you can use it for delicious pumpkin smoothies!

Honored Contributor

I found this recipe. I think I might try it.

Muffins with PP Mix

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 lacey1 said:

Pumpkin pie mix is different than canned pumpkin puree. It has milk, spices, and sugar in it. If you don't want to follow the pie recipe on the can-you can use it for delicious pumpkin smoothies!

I have to partically disagree with you. I have a can of Libby's pumpkin pie mix and the ingredients are pumpkin, sugar syrup, water, salt natural flavors and spices.

You have to add your own milk and eggs.

It's not the same, I agree, but you could use it without a problem to make muffins or even cookies. There is even a pumpkin muffin recipe on the can.