Trusted Contributor

Anyone else not like cooking in a crockpot?

I have been trying a lot of new recipes the past months. Have come to the conclusion that those cooked in a crock pot are not my favorites. Some recipes don't seem to be any easier than, or less work than, my old favorites. One being pot roast braised and simmered in juice for example. Never went wrong with that one. In general, I guess I have found my old favorites (crock pot or not) are the best. Even my old fashioned mac & cheese with white sauce and (can I say it) velveeta cheese!! Going back to my tried and true recipe box. Have a great day everyone!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else not like cooking in a crockpot?

Nope. There's a roast in my crock pot as I type this.

Valued Contributor

Me, I can't stand slow cooker food. I think everything I've ever made has turned out watery. Yuck, I prefer cooking my roasts in the oven low and slow. I threw my crock pot out.

Super Contributor

Have never liked the crockpot. Everything seems to taste the same. I like layering the flavor of food with seasonings etc. doing each individual step.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure you'll take plenty of fire for that stance on this board. Smiley Happy I, too, am not a fan of the crock pot cooking.

I get that it's convenient and easy and all that, but I'll go for quality food over convenience every time. But then I've been cooking for well over 50 years, so I can cook pretty much anything. I think that some folks might consider cooking to be complicated. It's really not at all.

Contributor

I like the idea of preparing dinner before work and coming home to it cooked in a crock pot. However, I'm scared to leave an appliance plugged in and unattended with no one home! That's why I don't use mine. Weird I know but I'm paranoid of house fire. Otherwise, food I've cooked in it have turned out great, the few times I've used it.
Honored Contributor

Love my crock for weekday meals. Prep at night, toss everything in in the morning and ready when I get home. DD is loving hers for the same reasons. We still cook other ways when we can, but will never give up our crocks.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Catlove125 said: I like the idea of preparing dinner before work and coming home to it cooked in a crock pot. However, I'm scared to leave an appliance plugged in and unattended with no one home! That's why I don't use mine. Weird I know but I'm paranoid of house fire. Otherwise, food I've cooked in it have turned out great, the few times I've used it.

I'm with you! Even when I use it (occasionally), I make sure I'm around the house. I don't know if we're weird or super-cautious. Everyone who cooks this way seems to love it. I tend to add water, just in case, and therefore my food is watery.

Super Contributor

Some meals work well in a crockpot, others not so much. I love it for a veggie sausage casserole, that I can start and then leave for the day. I wouldn't dream of making mac and cheese in a crockpot.

Respected Contributor

I don't like to leave anything cooking, while I'm not there.