Occasional Contributor

July Insider peppermint cake recipe

Does anyone have the recipe for the amazing looking Peppermint Cake (covered in tiny candy canes ) that was in the QVC insider magazine for July ( Christmas in July ) ? I want desperately to make it - didn't save the magazine because it was always available online. I just discovered you can no longer access copies of the Insider magazine online. Which makes no sense at all.
Honored Contributor

Re: July Insider peppermint cake recipe

Peppermint Holiday Cake | Makes 12 servings

Cake

Vegetable oil spray

1 18.25-oz box white cake mix

1 3.6-oz box white chocolate pudding mix

1/3 cup canola oil

1 cup whole milk

4 large eggs, at room temperature

1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

Frosting

1 11.5-oz container whipped cream cheese

2 cups confectioners’ sugar

1 to 2 drops of peppermint extract

12 oz Cool Whip whipped topping

Finely ground candy canes or Andes

Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips

30 to 40 candy canes

24- to 30-inch piece red ribbon

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with vegetable oil spray and lightly flour the pans.

2. To make the cake, whisk together the cake mix and pudding mix in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until well blended. Add the canola oil, milk, eggs, and peppermint extract. Starting at low speed, mix for 20 to 30 seconds, until the ingredients are just blended together. Stop the machine and, using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl, then raise the speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes until well blended. Do not overmix the batter. Evenly divide the batter between the cake pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into both layers comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the layers out onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.

3. To make the frosting, put the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and peppermint extract in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Starting at low speed, mix for 1 minute. Stop the machine and use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Raise the speed to medium-high and mix until the frosting is smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a spatula, gently fold in the whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate the frosting while the cake is cooling.

4. To decorate the cake, place one layer on a cake stand and frost the top of the cake. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the frosting. Top with the second layer and frost the top and sides of the cake. Refrigerate the cake for up to 2 days. One or two hours before serving, gently press the candy canes into the frosting on the sides of the cake. Tie the ribbon around the cake, but be sure to remove it before slicing.

Frequent Contributor

OK, here's a non-baker question.....could you decorate a red velvet cake like this by adding peppermint to the cream cheese frosting? Just wondered if that was an ok combination.

Honored Contributor

I don't see why not. I think the cake looks really neat with the candy canes. Here is a link to a recipe I found online for Peppermint Red Velvet Cake & Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/red-velvet-peppermint-cake

Frequent Contributor

Nightowlz! Thank you. You always find such wonderful ideas. I think I am going to try RV cupcakes with a candy cane for decoration. Thanks again! ALso need to find a nice white cake recipe to try the marble affect with the RV.

Honored Contributor

Ditto! Thank you Nightowlz...I am so drooling over both of those cakes!

And the Red Velvet Cake link brought me 2 recipes I had missed!

Pumpkin Toffee Crunch Trifle and Apple Pie Bread Pudding!!!!

I am in heaven~

Respected Contributor

marking to save & follow

Super Contributor

Yum! That red velvet one sounds spectacular. I think I would just do 2 layers. I am too much of a klutz. Thanks for sharing.

Occasional Contributor

That was the one! Bless your heart Nightowlz!!!! I didn't think I was ever going to see it again- I can't wait to try to make this - thank you! Have a very Merry Christmas
Honored Contributor

On 12/17/2014 babbalini said: That was the one! Bless your heart Nightowlz!!!! I didn't think I was ever going to see it again- I can't wait to try to make this - thank you! Have a very Merry Christmas

Your Welcome. Hope it turns out good & looks just like the picture. Merry Christmas.