Respected Contributor

I'm looking for a simple fish chowder recipe...does anybody have one that does not involve shell fish?

DH can't have shell fish, but it's cooling down here in SW Florida, and soup would be wonderful-but I want something different besides the time honored soups I have been making. It hit me that I have never made any kind of fish soup. Being from Louisiana, I have made seafood gumbo, etoufe etc, certainly fish soup made with some sort of mild fish exists...if anybody has a recipe they would be willing to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks
Super Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a simple fish chowder recipe...does anybody have one that does not involve shell fish?

How about salmon stew? Just heat up a pot, add a little drained canned corn (to liking), a 15oz can of salmon (bones removed), ground pepper, 4 cups of milk and butter. Bring to a simmer and you're done! I made this video years ago. Excuse the clock, the lights were faulty and in person you couldn't see the time blinking, but it showed up on camera. http://youtu.be/TSNFnz6M_2c
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a simple fish chowder recipe...does anybody have one that does not involve shell fish?

Just find a recipe U like and eliminate/substitute the shell fish. Cooking is not a science. It's an art. Baking IS a science.

Frequent Contributor

I am hoping to try this recipe this weekend. I am sure you can make substitutions.

http://peggyunderpressure.com/2011/12/fishermans-seafood-chowder/

I just purchased an Elite Pressure Cooker and want to try it out.

Respected Contributor

Quick Cioppino

3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
  2. Add next 4 ingredients; saute 6 minutes.
  3. Add tomatoes, clam juice, and wine; bring to boil.
  4. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 18 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. Add all seafood and 2 tablespoons parsley.
  6. Simmer until seafood is opaque in center, about 3 minutes.
  7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  8. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
this serves 2 to 4 so you can double if you wish
Respected Contributor

just omit shrimp

Cioppino {Fish Stew} posted by katkitty

3 Cups tomato juice or V8

16 to 18 oz, can of chopped tomatoes(opt)

1 lg. onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, sliced thin

2 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tsp rosemary

1 tsp marjoram

1 tsp oregano

1 tbsp. sweet dried basil

½ to 1 pound fresh fish (flounder, haddock, perch), boned and cut into 1" pieces

3 to 5 yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite size pieces(opt) but we like them in

½ cup red wine

6 Clams in the shell, scrubbed clean(( usually pick up canned chopped clams)

1 pound shrimp, in the shell

2 Tbs. Parmigiano - Reggiano cheese, freshly grated

6 parsley sprigs, chopped

8 lemon wedges

Directions

Place tomato juice or V8, can of chopped tomatoes(opt) in a pot and bring to a simmer.

Add onion, celery, rosemary, marjoram, oregano, garlic, basil and fish(and potatoes if using, we like them) to the pot and simmer, covered, for an hour to thicken broth.

Add the wine, shrimp, and clams and heat to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the shrimp just turn pink.

Serve in heated bowls(opt), topped with cheese, a wedge of lemon, and parsley

Respected Contributor

Rollover, thank you! I will try one of these recipes-I just wish I could use clam juice. I have no problems with shell fish, but DH keeps kosher and has gout. I will use chicken broth instead. Thanks, Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor

On 11/1/2014 Poodlepet said: Rollover, thank you! I will try one of these recipes-I just wish I could use clam juice. I have no problems with shell fish, but DH keeps kosher and has gout. I will use chicken broth instead. Thanks, Poodlepet

These all sound good and I would simply increase the amount of white fish replace the shell fish (including clams as you well know!)

I love Cioppino actually like the fish better than the shrimp, etc. As already suggested I would use any recipe you like and just switch fish for the shell fish!

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

KJPA
Honored Contributor

You can use any chowder recipe and add a firm fish instead of shellfish. I love to cut up halibut or cod into chowder.

Esteemed Contributor

BECKY’S HADDOCK CHOWDA

1 medium onion, chopped

¾ stick of margarine or butter

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon salt

3 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and diced

2 ½ pounds of skinless haddock fillets

4 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk

2 cups whole milk

6 bacon slices, cooked until crisp

DIRECTIONS:

Cook onion in margarine or butter in a 6-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring until softened. Add pepper, garlic powder, salt, potatoes (3 to 4 cups and boil until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

Lay fish fillets on top of potatoes (do not drain off or add more water) and simmer covered until fish just flakes apart, 5 to 8 minutes.

Add both types of milk and heat, but do not boil.

Add bacon and season the chowder well with salt and pepper. Servs 8-12 (4 qts)

Cook’s Note: never cover until cool because it was break (spoil). If haddock is not available, use Hake or Cod, or both
Becky’s Diner

390 Commercial Street

Portland, Maine