Valued Contributor

Need an Apple Pie recipe, please

Hi. I was asked to make Apple Pie for a dinner party and I'm in need of a recipe. TIA.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Need an Apple Pie recipe, please

Don't worry about making an Apple pie - go to your SAMS CLUB and purchase the lattice Apple pies they have. They are beyond delicious! They usually sell for about $8-$9 and they are the large ones. These are the best ever!!! Just be sure you get the large pie and not the smaller size. I promise, these are absolutely delicious!!

Trusted Contributor

I love apple pie! This is the recipe I always use. The apples cook long enough to be done, not crunchy. I do not like crunchy apples in apple pie. I slice them very thin. Starting off at a high temp gets the crust cooking well, and it is never soggy.

I recently made a smaller version for an individual casserole dish, which makes a nice size for two servings, or even 4 small servings. (I included a photo of my mini pie)

This is the standard size:

Apple Pie (9-inch)

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Dash salt

6 cups thinly sliced pared Golden Delicious Apples

2 Tablespoons butter

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare pastry.

2. In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Add apple slices and mix well. Turn into 9-inch pastry-lined pie pan; dot with butter.

3. Cover with top crust, seal and flute. Cut slits in top pastry. I like to make cuts in the shape of an apple! Fold 12-inch square of foil in half and cut out center in a circle shape about 7 1/2 inches across. Unfold and lay foil loosely over the top of the pie crust to protect the fluted edge from excessive browning; remove foil the last 15 minutes of baking (if needed for the edge to become lightly golden brown).

4. Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and continue baking for 60 minutes more or until juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Delicious!

This is a mini version I made recently.

photo pie7_zpsffcaf91c.jpg

Trusted Contributor

If you need a pie crust recipe:

Pie Crust (Pie Pastry)

This is the recipe for a double crust 9-inch pie. To make it easier, I like to increase this recipe 1 1/2 times to have more dough to work with. It makes it easier. **Larger recipe at the end

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup PLUS 2 Tablespoons shortening

4 to 5 Tablespoons ice cold water

(I add several ice cubes to a mug of cold water when I start the recipe)

1. Preheat oven according to pie recipe used.

2. Measure flour and salt into bowl and stir together. Use a pastry blender (or two dinner knives) and cut shortening into flour/salt mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.

3. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon ice water over flour mixture. Stir with a fork. Continue to sprinkle 1 Tablespoon ice water at a time over dry areas and keep stirring until flour is moistened and dough cleans side of bowl. (Add extra ice water if necessary, but you don’t want it wet.)

4. Wipe counter with damp cloth and put 2 strips of wax paper down (slightly overlapping) and it will stick to the counter. Lightly flour wax paper. Shape dough into a ball (divide in half for a double crust pie) and flatten into a round, pressing edges toward the center to make them even. With floured rolling pin, roll the disk until it is slightly larger and turn over to make sure it is not sticking, adding a little more flour if necessary to the wax paper and also to the top of the dough, if needed. Don’t add too much flour, just a little if needed to keep it from sticking. Evenly roll out the dough until it is 2 inches larger all around than the inverted pie dish.

Roll dough around rolling pin to transfer to pie pan. (Pick up edge of wax paper to help start the pastry around the rolling pin.) Unroll dough over pie pan. Holding sections of the edge of dough, ease into pan without stretching. Trim excess pastry, leaving about 1 inch beyond edge.

If making single crust pie, fold pastry under and flute edge. Pour filling into crust. Use a pie shield, OR, cut a large circle from the center of a square of aluminum foil and lay across the top of pie and loosely fold the sides of the foil down to protect the fluted edge from over-browning.

If making double crust pie, top filling with pastry and trim about 1 inch beyond edge, fold & flute edge. Cut slits in crust to allow steam to escape. Cover edge with pie shield or foil.

Follow baking instructions for pie recipe, and remove pie shield or foil during the last 15 minutes of baking time (if needed, in order for the edge to become lightly golden).

Larger recipe (for 2 crust pie): (1 ½ times original recipe)

3 cups flour

1 ½ teaspoon salt (used 1 ¼ t)

1 cup PLUS 3 Tablespoons shortening

6 to 7 Tablespoons ice cold water

Occasional Contributor

tyler florences ultimate apple pie google it

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 lil coco said:

tyler florences ultimate apple pie google it

Lots of complaints in the reviews, only three stars.

Respected Contributor

Mary Beth's recipe posted by Luvpoos.

Swedish Apple Pie

7 medium apples peeled and sliced

1 Tblsp sugar

1 Tbls cinnamon

3/4 cup melted butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup flour

1 egg beaten

1 1/2 chopped nuts-optional

pinch of salt

Fill 9" pie pan w/sliced apples. Sprinkle with the sugar/cinnamon mixture. In a medium bowl combine butter, 1 cup sugar, four, egg, nuts and salt. Spread over apples to cover. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Hope you like it!!

Respected Contributor

SWEDISH APPLE PIE posted by Pook

For this pie you can use a bought Pillsbury pie crust (or no pie crust at all)

Fill crust or just plain pie pan 2/3 full of peeled, sliced apples (about 5-6)

Sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg or make your own favorite crumb topping

Sprinkle over apples

Bake 350 for 45 - 65 minutes until golden brown

Or

mixture of half and half brown sugar and sugar (this is what I use as I am not really fond of cinnamon)

In bowl combine ¾ melted butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 egg, ½ cup chopped nuts and a pinch of salt.

Spread over apples

Bake 350 for 45 - 65 minutes until golden brown

Respected Contributor

<h1> Suzy Q's Swedish Apple Pie</h1>

SWEDISH APPLE PIE SuzyQ/Donna

Fill a greased deep dish pie plate 2/3 full with sliced apples (about 5)

Sprinkle with……

1 teaspoon sugar & 1 teaspoon cinnamon (mixed)

Combine…….

3/4 cup melted margarine

1 egg

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup flour

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Pour over apples and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is browned.

Respected Contributor

<h1> FRENCH APPLE PIE posted by DiAnne</h1>

6 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
3/4 cup mil
2 eggs
2 T butter, softened
1 cup water
1/2 cup baking mix (Bisquick)

Streusel Topping:
1 cup baking mix
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/3 brown sugar
3 T cold butter

Preheat oven to 325. Grease 10 inch pie plate.

Combine apples, cinnamon and nutmeg. Turn in pie plate.

Beat together milk, eggs, butter, sugar and baking mix on high speed for 1 minute or until smooth. Pour over apple mixture.

For streusel combine baking mix, nuts, brown sugar and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pie. Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.

I found this online many years ago and it's the best one I've ever made. It tastes carmelly instead of cinnamon.posted by Pook

I also pour the liquid over the apples before putting the lattice crust as it is less messy.