Valued Contributor

Sugar Cookie Bars w/frosting - by Six Sisters - so good!!!

I am not sure what prompted me to find/see this recipe; I searched and didn't find anything about it here on Recipe Swap. If it's a duplicate, I apologize. I couldn't take a chance in not sharing it. It is so easy and soooo good!! The frosting is light and fluffy...just made this today!! I need to share them quickly!! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

I'm not sure if any of you ever go to sixsistersstuff site, but they have a lot of great-sounding recipes. There is also a Pumpkin Sugar Cookie recipe, which I saved!

This recipe will be a staple of mine forever!!

PS: I made 1/2 the recipe and used a 9 x 13-inch pan...worked out wonderful!!

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/11/sugar-cookie-bars-and-moms-frosting.html

This note is on the site:

My husband's all-time favorite dessert is a sugar cookie. My mom makes the best sugar cookies, but I don't make them very often because it takes so much time to cut out the individual shapes, bake a million batches of them, and then decorate each cookie. It is seriously an all-day project!

This recipe is like an answer to prayers. :) It is basically one HUGE sugar cookie baked on ONE cookie sheet . . . the prep time and bake time is so short . . . and you only have to frost one LARGE cookie. And they taste SO GOOD. I don't know if I will make sugar cookies again after trying this recipe . . .So next time you are craving a delicious sugar cookie, but don't feel like doing all the work, YOU HAVE TO MAKE THESE!!!

Sugar Cookie Bars

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

1. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Mix in vanilla.

2. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased, rimmed baking sheet (use a 13x18x1" pan/cookie sheet). The dough will be just like cookie dough- heavy and sticky- so it’s best to spray your hands with a little nonstick spray and use them to help mold the dough into the pan.

3. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

Mom's Frosting

1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar (more or less depending on how thick/runny you like it)
A couple of drops blue food coloring (or any other color) to get desired blue color (optional)

Combine all ingredients until well-blended. Spread on top of bars. Top with sprinkles if you want!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sugar Cookie Bars w/frosting - by Six Sisters - so good!!!

These sound wonderful DiamondGirly and so much easier than cutting out cookies. DS's favorite are cut out sugar cookies. Will have to make him some of these and see if he likes them as well.

thanks for sharing

JPC

Regular Contributor

Sounds so good!! Do you cut these kind of like you would cut brownies? Or just break apart pieces?

Valued Contributor

Hi JPC...they are really yummy!! Nice to see you...haven't seen you in awhile!

Coffee Gal - Hello there! I just realized the recipe doesn't really say how to serve!!

Yes, you cut them like brownies...and they came out really easy from the pan. You could make the pieces any size you want, really!

Regular Contributor

On 10/29/2014 DiamondGirly said:

Hi JPC...they are really yummy!! Nice to see you...haven't seen you in awhile!

Coffee Gal - Hello there! I just realized the recipe doesn't really say how to serve!!

Yes, you cut them like brownies...and they came out really easy from the pan. You could make the pieces any size you want, really!

Thanks!! They sound very good!! I want to make them...

Honored Contributor

These sound so good. Love bar cookies as I cannot stand in the kitchen the prolonged time it takes to make individual cookies. Will definitely try these. Thanks.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

A good sugar cookie is my favorite. I was just thinking how you could make these four different holidays. Just sprinkle sugars lightly on the frosting.

Christmas--mix green and red sugars

Easter--mix yellow and pink or purple or light blue

Halloween--orange and black

Thanksgiving--brown, orange, yellow sugar

Then, cut the rows on the diagonal and the cookies would be diamonds. You could cut half like diamonds and half like bars, and mix them on the plate.

Thank you so much for the recipe. This will be a keeper.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

I'll bet the grandkids would love these. When I've made sugar cookies with them, we don't do the cutouts. They roll the dough into balls, roll in sugar, put 'em on the baking sheet and smash flat w/ a heavy bottomed glass - one w/ a pretty design on the bottom. But these sound even easier!

Thanks a bunch!

Super Contributor

Thx DG for posting, I'm going to try this! I love Six Sisters I follow them on facebook. My favorite from them is Cinnamon Roll cake, it taste just like a cinnamon roll, except so much less time to make. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Thank you, this sounds good ! Just wondering if you can still get a lightly browned crisp top and bottom ? I love a crisp sugar cookie .