Frequent Contributor

Ladies I need help finding this icing recipe!

My mother who died in 1987 after having committed suicide left behind a recipe for apple cake that had some type of a glazed or caramel icing drizzled over it. She used to make it in a bundt cake pan or regular pan. The icing would get a bit hard as it cooled. My sister Donna had the recipe but has now passed away ! My brother in law cannot find the recipe. If you have any ideas for this icing or cake I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ladies I need help finding this icing recipe!

I use this one for bread pudding and bundt cakes. It seems like it is what you are looking for. I use half and half or cream for the milk though. But regular milk might make it harder.

1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. milk
1 3/4 to 2 c. sifted confectioners' sugar
Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar. Boil over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in milk. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually add sugar. Beat until thick enough to spread. Add a little hot water, if needed.
Trusted Contributor

I use this one from Taste of Home.

Hard Shell Caramel Icing

1-1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 cup brown sugar; packed
3/4 cup canned evaporated milk
1 T. butter
1 tsp. vanilla (I used pure vanilla)
1/8 tsp. salt (I used a little pinch)

Cook sugars and milk to soft-ball stage.

Add butter; stir to mix.

Cool.

Add vanilla and salt.

Beat.

Add confectioners' sugar if needed to thicken or milk to keep smooth as it hardens.

This icing forms a hard shell.

Honored Contributor

This is an Amish frosting I just looked up, if you want to try it: (not sure if these harden)

Caramel Frosting

2 1/2 C. butter

5 C. brown sugar

1 1/4 C. Milk

9 C. Powered sugar

(This must make a lot!)

Melt butter in saucepan and then add brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil. Let cool and add to powdered sugar. Mix well.

OR

Caramel Frosting

1 stick margarine or butter

3/4 C. brown sugar

pinch of salt

1/4 C. cream

1 box powdered sugar

1 tsp. maple flavoring

Melt butter and add brown sugar and cream. Mix thoroughly. Add powdered sugar, maple flavoring and salt. Mix well.

Trusted Contributor

I'm really sorry about your mother. I realize 27 years have passed, but that must have been a very difficult time for the family she left behind. {#emotions_dlg.sad}Also sorry to hear your sister has also passed.

I don't know of an icing recipe that sounds close to what you describe, but if it's not a secret family recipe, I would love to have the recipe for the apple cake.

My best to you and your family.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much for all of your replies ladies. It means so much to me. NITESTAR I don't even have the apple cake recipe. I was going to find one that was similar to it. My nephew tried to copy her apple cake recipe and did a pretty good job but wasn't able to duplicate the frosting. If we ever find the recipe I would be more than happy to pass it along to you and the other ladies. Thank you again for your replies.

Respected Contributor

This may be what you're looking for. This was my gramma's recipe. Top while hot 1cup powdered sugar 1/2 cube butter 1/2 tsp soda 1 tablespoon white corn syrup 1 tsp vanilla Add all ingredients bring to a boil. Boil 5mins Remove from heat add vanilla. Don't start early. Hardens quickly. 5 mins before cake comes out of oven. This is excellent