Valued Contributor

/></span><br/> Chocolate Crinkles</strong></span><br/> <em>(recipe source: ObsessiveCookingDisorder.com)</em></p> <p>I really love these cookies. I've revised the recipe slightly to fit my personal needs. I've made them both ways now and you can't tell the difference. I reduced the amount of sugar and substituted coconut oil or veggie oil. I also added a bit more espresso *smile* The espresso/chocolate combo is DELICIOUS. These are not last minute cookies though, because the dough has to be refrigerated for a few hours prior to baking.<br/> <br/> 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder<br/> 1/2 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons<br/> 1/2 cup coconut oil<br/> 4 eggs<br/> 2 teaspoons vanilla extract<br/> 2 cups all-purpose flour<br/> 2 teaspoons baking powder<br/> 1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder<br/> 1/2 teaspoon salt<br/> 1 cup confectioners’ sugar (for dusting)<br/> <br/> Directions:<br/> <br/> In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (though you can do this with a wooden spoon, too) beat together the cocoa powder, white sugar, and coconut oil until it comes together into a shiny, gritty, black dough of sorts.<br/> <br/> Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing for 30 seconds each. Add the vanilla and beat in thoroughly.<br/> <br/> In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder. Mix into the chocolate mixture on low speed until just combined. Do not over beat. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill the dough for four hours or overnight.<br/> <br/> Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the confectioner's sugar in a wide bowl. Using a rounded teaspoon get clumps of the chilled dough and roll them into 1-inch (2.5 cm) sized balls using your hands. Roll the balls in the confectioner's sugar and place on the cookie sheets (you should be able to get 12-16 on each sheet). Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool a minute or two on the sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely</p>

Super Contributor
These look yummy! Thanks for posting.
Respected Contributor

I love these. They are nice and dark and not too sweet and perfect with ice cold milk! Yummy!

Respected Contributor

Those do look delicious. I can't stand anything coffee-tasting, though. Do you think they would taste okay if I just omitted the espresso?

Honored Contributor

Thanks LoLa! I love these cookies....

I have a question also...

I don't have coconut oil. Should I get some? Does it make these taste even better? I believe Trader Joe's sells it reasonably and would be glad to get some if you think it is the best choice for these cookies?

TIA!!

Valued Contributor

These look really yummy-thanks for posting. Smiley Happy I've seen similar chocolate crinkle cookies for years and I always say I'm going to make them and I haven't yet--this is the nudge I need.

Valued Contributor

Hi dobiesrule... You're very welcome!

Hi tigriss... Yes, perfect for just that!

Hi santorini.... Yes, I think if you let it out, you'd still love these. Espresso powder just enhances the chocolate flavor.

Hi Respect Life.... You're welcome! The original recipe called for vegetable oil. I first made them with that and (honestly) they were delicious exactly as the recipe was written. So feel free to use canola or vegetable oil.

Hi glmama... You are so welcome! Yeah, I always seem to be in a cookie 'rut' this time of year and these lil'darlins hit the spot!

Have a great day everyone,

Honored Contributor

These were always a Christmas staple at our house when I was growing up.

I do remember the recipe my mom had (different from the one above) called for a specific brand of flour. One year she used a different brand and the cookies didn't turn out the same at all. Ohhhh was she upset. I think it called for Gold Medal and she used Pillsbury or vice versa.

Her recipe is really old but my sister still uses it to make these cookies every year.

Valued Contributor

Hi LipstickDiva.... Isn't it funny how we can glance back and remember those things? What a lovely tradition that you/your sister continue to use your moms recipe. It's the little things like that that make the holidays so special.

Hope you're having a lovely day,