Honored Contributor

Do you use your 2 qt. glass baking dish very often? Recipes? The old 11 x 7"!

I got mine out last week while cleaning the cabinets and though 'I ought to use this more often' for cornbread, smaller cakes, browines, etc. It is the smaller rectangle one.

Do you use yours often? I think most recipes are for 9 x 13 pans, but gosh that is a lot for 2 people and even a lot of leftovers.

So do you have any favorite recipes that fit this or something you make that you usually cook in this?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you use your 2 qt. glass baking dish very often? Recipes? The old 11 x 7""!

I always use 11x7, never use 13x9.

I don't use special recipes. I just adjust baking time if needed.

If use a casserole recipe that I know results in a ton of food, I'll cut the recipe in half so it will fit in my 11x7.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you use your 2 qt. glass baking dish very often? Recipes? The old 11 x 7""!

My 2 quart is the 8x8 Pyrex. I use the frequently for making hot dishes. My fave:

1 cup brown rice

1 jar of simmer sauce

Mix

Add frozen pepper and onion strips

Mix

Top with pork chops or chicken thighs

Sprinkle with paprika

Cover with foil

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 HonnyBrown said:

My 2 quart is the 8x8 Pyrex. I use the frequently for making hot dishes. My fave:

1 cup brown rice

1 jar of simmer sauce

Mix

Mix

Sprinkle with paprika

Cover with foil

Now that's the kind of recipe I hoped someone would post! THANKS! That wounds really good. I might throw some sausage pieces in there too especially with the chicken.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually have 3 of these and usually use them one at a time, mostly for a smaller turkey lasagna, cobblers and to serve a great cold carrot and beet salad. I have a whopping migraine, but will get back with that lasagna recipe, Sooner. ~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 sfnative said:

I actually have 3 of these and usually use them one at a time, mostly for a smaller turkey lasagna, cobblers and to serve a great cold carrot and beet salad. I have a whopping migraine, but will get back with that lasagna recipe, Sooner. ~Rebecca

Oh my goodness I hope you are better soon! I get those occasionally and they are awful. Usually I know what I ate, I didn't get enough sleep, or a bright light caused it. Now I think not drinking enough water also causes them.

Get better soon!!! Your salad sounds wonderful.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Sooner said:

1 cup brown rice

1 jar of simmer sauce

Mix

Mix

Sprinkle with paprika

Cover with foil

Now that's the kind of recipe I hoped someone would post! THANKS! That wounds really good. I might throw some sausage pieces in there too especially with the chicken.

Sooner, it's one of my lazy dishes. It's good and very easy, but I make it more often than I should!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

I just made cream cheese apple bars today in a 11 x 7 pan. The recipe said to use an 8 x 8.

I like to sub the 11 x 7 so the bars come out flatter and I can cut more. I use this size pan alot.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Sooner said:
On 10/22/2014 sfnative said:

Oh my goodness I hope you are better soon! I get those occasionally and they are awful. Usually I know what I ate, I didn't get enough sleep, or a bright light caused it. Now I think not drinking enough water also causes them.

Get better soon!!! Your salad sounds wonderful.

Sooner,

Here's the Carrot & Beet salad recipe. Enjoy!

Grated Carrot & Raw Beet Salad

Source: food.com

4 large carrots, peeled & trimmed

3 beats, peeled and trimmed

2 garlic cloves, finely minced or 1 tsp garlic paste

1 Tbs olive oil

1 Tbs balsamic vinegar (I prefer light to dark balsamic)

1 tsp strong Dijon mustard

Tobasco sauce or chili pepper flakes to taste

Smoked or regular sea salt

Fresh ground pepper

Optional: Orange for additional acidity & lettuce leaves for lining dish

1. Grate carrots and beets using grater with large holes or grate using a processor.

2. Place the rest of the main ingredients, from garlic to black pepper, in a large bowl. Add carrots, beets and toss until well combined.

3. Add any desired add-ins and toss again.

4. Taste, adjust seasoning and let stand for 30 minutes. **I prefer making this a day ahead so that flavors fully develop; otherwise, you can taste each ingredient as if it was just tossed in.

5. Just prior to serving, if you wish some additional acidity, squeeze half an orange over the salad, then toss and place in 2 quart dish. I like to use this dish for this salad, because I can line the dish with my favorite lettuce, then added the carrot and beet mixture.

Super Contributor

1 cup brown rice

1 jar of simmer sauce

Mix

Mix

Sprinkle with paprika

Cover with foil

Perhaps it's regional, but what is "simmer sauce"? (And how many ounces is "a jar"?)

This sounds like something we would probably like. . .Thanks for the further explanation!