Respected Contributor

I preheated my large pizza stone for the first time (not first time it's been used) but didn't have a wooden paddle to slide the prepared pizza onto that very hot stone. Instead, I used a large metal flat pan with handles that Williams Sonoma sells for using on the grill.

I wonder if a wood paddle is actually easier to slide a laden 10-12" pizza onto a stone. This metal pan worked if pretty doesn't matter. The pizza toppings rolled off a little and one part of the dough buckled slightly but I was able to straiten it.

I was lucky it didn't turn into a messy disaster. If wood paddles work well, any brand or technique suggestions? Or how do you get your pizza to your hot stone?

Trusted Contributor

Before I got used to using my wooden peel, I used a lot of cornmeal on the peel before putting the dough on to the peel and filling it. The cornmeal helps to keep the dough looser. I still use cornmeal on my peel, just not as much as I used to use.

If you have parchment paper, you can put a sheet of parchment on your peel, then put the formed dough on the parchment. Make your pizza, then slide parchment and all on your hot stone. Parchment can take a bit of high heat. The parchment ends may get brittle, but it won't burst into flames or anything like that.

Honored Contributor

pizza peel is easy to transfer onto the stone

I think any brand would be fine

Respected Contributor

I use a large cake spatula - works great.

Honored Contributor
On 10/19/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

Before I got used to using my wooden peel, I used a lot of cornmeal on the peel before putting the dough on to the peel and filling it. The cornmeal helps to keep the dough looser. I still use cornmeal on my peel, just not as much as I used to use.

If you have parchment paper, you can put a sheet of parchment on your peel, then put the formed dough on the parchment. Make your pizza, then slide parchment and all on your hot stone. Parchment can take a bit of high heat. The parchment ends may get brittle, but it won't burst into flames or anything like that.

This is what I use, as I found that the cornmeal would burn.

Honored Contributor

You can always use parchment paper and then slide it out from under the pizza after about a minute ( assuming your cooking at high enough heat that the bottom cooks that fast).

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I put plenty of corn meal on the metal pan, even a little flour for good measure, so I think that is what saved me from a total mess.

Parchment paper crossed my mind but I feared it would catch fire so thanks for that advice. Funny when I think about it because I don't worry about baking cookies on parchment. I'll look for a wood peel to use next time.

I did learn that preheating the stone makes a big difference, dough cooked through faster and had a firm enough bottom to hold the toppings without drooping.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Honored Contributor
On 10/19/2014 Free2be said:

I put plenty of corn meal on the metal pan, even a little flour for good measure, so I think that is what saved me from a total mess.

Parchment paper crossed my mind but I feared it would catch fire so thanks for that advice. Funny when I think about it because I don't worry about baking cookies on parchment. I'll look for a wood peel to use next time.

I did learn that preheating the stone makes a big difference, dough cooked through faster and had a firm enough bottom to hold the toppings without drooping.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Yes, I reheat the stone for 30-40 minutes, very important.