New Contributor

Merediths Chili Mac recipe for the pressure cooker

I have been trying to find it and I can't. She said it was on her facebook page and on QVC. Does anyone have it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Merediths Chili Mac recipe for the pressure cooker

[ Edited ]

Pressure Cooker Cheesy Beef & Mac

Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1½ teaspoons dried oregano
1½ teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
1 cup beef stock
¼ cup ketchup
½ pound dried elbow macaroni
grated Parmesan cheese OR 1½ cups grated Cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Pre-heat the pressure cooker using the BROWN setting.
2. Add the oil and brown the beef. Avoid breaking up the beef too much, but let it cook in larger chunks. Add the onion, peppers, herbs and spices, salt and pepper and continue to cook for a few minutes, stirring well.
3. Add the tomatoes, stock, ketchup and elbow macaroni and lock the lid in place.
4. Pressure cook on HIGH for 6 minutes.
5. Reduce the pressure with the QUICK-RELEASE method and carefully remove the lid. Give the ingredients a good stir, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with grated Parmesan cheese or for a cheesy dish, stir in the grated Cheddar cheese.

http://gather.qvc.com/collection/483639/

There are more of Meredith's recipes at this link.

Thumbnail image of

Frequent Contributor

When we want comfort food i make this but I have found 6 min is too much time, i do 4 min. This is in the electronic oval tsv pressure cooker.

Trusted Contributor

Respected Contributor

Alright Pawdog, I stopped to get what I needed to fix this and I'll let you know how it goes!! Sounds yummy but easy and quick! Smiley Happy

I tried it and loved it with a few changes.

I didn't have diced tomatoes so I used a 28 oz can of crushed.  Cut down on the oreg and basil. 

Also for a full meal.... I put the steamer rack in and opened a can of string beans with a few small pieces of ham for flavoring and a chopped onion.  Put in a cooking safe bowl on top of the steamer plate.  I delayed mine for 4 hours.  When I got up to head to work it was done!  Everything was awesome.  Didn't need the cheese 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Duh...but can someone give me an approx cup measurement for 1/2 lb elbow Mac? I dump all mine in a lock and lock, so I can't just estimate half a 1 lb package, if you know what I mean....

Also the recipe request is for "chili Mac" thus recipe says"cheesy Mac" and has no chili init... Is there a Chili Mac recipe?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mothertrucker 8 oz. of elbows = 1/2 lb and is a bit less than 1-3/4 cups in U.S. measurement.

(Each 2 oz. is a scant half-cup. It's not exact but should work for all your recipes.).

It's a good idea to invest in a kitchen scale as it offers precise accurate measurements and can go back & forth from metric to U.S. easily. Amazon offers good kitchen scales.

Another thing you can do is to always buy 1 lb. boxes, measure it, and then you can go from there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

See the chart below which is very helpful for those who need a quick reference guide to measuring and converting:

A pinch, a dash (dry)=less than 1/8 of a teaspoon
A dash (liquid)=a few drops

1/4 teaspoon=1 ml
1/2 teaspoon=2 mls
1 teaspoon=5 mls
3 teaspoons=1 Tablespoon or 15 mls
1 Tablespoon=15 mls

1/2 Tablespoon=1 1/2 teaspoons
1 Tablespoon=3 teaspoons or 1/2 ounce or 15 ml
2 Tablespoons=1 fluid ounce or 1/8 cup or 6 teaspoons
4 Tablespoons=1/4 cup or 2 fluid ounces or 60 mls
5 1/3 Tablespoons=1/3 cup
8 Tablespoons=1/2 cup or 4 fluid ounces or 125 mls
10 2/3 Tablespoons=2/3 cup
12 Tablespoons=3/4 cup or 6 ounces
16 Tablespoons=1 cup or 8 fluid ounces or 250 mls

3/4 cup=12 Tablespoons
2/3 cup=10 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
1/2 cup=8 Tablespoons or 4 ounces or 125 mls
3/8 cup=6 Tablespoons
1/3 cup=5 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon or 90 mls
1/4 cup=4 Tablespoons or 2 ounces or 60 mls
1/8 cup=2 Tablespoons
1/6 cup=2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons
1/16 cup=1 Tablespoon
1 cup=1/2 pint or 8 ounces or 48 teaspoons or 16 Tablespoons or 250 mls
2 cups=1 pint

1 pint=2 cups
2 pints=1 quart
1 quart=2 pints
4 quarts (liquid)=1 gallon
8 quarts (dry)=1 peck
4 pecks (dry)=1 bushel

1 oz=2 TBS or 1/8 cup or 30 mls
2 oz=4 TBS or 1/4 cup or 60 mls
4 oz=8 TBS or 1/2 cup or 125 mls
6 oz=12 TBS or 3/4 cup or 185 mls
8 oz=16 TBS or 1 cup or 250 mls

1 gallon (liquid)=128 ounces or 4 quarts (shipping weight is 8 lbs)

1 pound=16 ounces or 2 cups

1 kilogram=approx. 2 pounds
1 liter=approx. 4 cups or 1 quart

To make a chili mac recipe just add plenty kidney and chili beans, along with some authentic chili pepper seasonings, or real chili peppers. 

You can even add some canned hot or mild chilis depending on the heat factor you crave.

I usually use fresh Hatch chilies when I find them and in my travels or when at home I buy canned Hatch chilis which are easily accessible in my area. (You can also buy Hatch chilis on line).

I do use the hot  Hatch chilies because that is what we prefer, but they also come in mild form, and they freeze very well.

You can also buy ready made packs of chili seasonings in the supermarkets, or mail order them.

Leftover chili mac also freezes quite well and reheats in the microwave beautifully.

I've been cooking and baking for 54 years and never met a chili pepper I did not like, for us the hotter the better.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your help-  You are right -a good kitchen scale is indeispensible, and I DO have good one..problem is, it takes these weird round batteries that I can never find..so right now it sits..

Since I mostly use it for baking, this reminds me that I better find one this weekend for all my c baking coming up..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're welcome Mothertrucker:

Please read below and also see the OXO Measuring cups I bought from QVC which are so cute and great for liquid measures, and I love them for baking.....

You may like them too, if you don't already have them.

(If you are interested just click on the link below to see the QVC Live Presentation Video).

Amazon also has these with free shipping but no spatula, so I got them from QVC because the spatula is silicone and really has no ridges so getting food off is very easy and not a royal pain, as is with some spatulas whene removing cake batters.

Also a hint for use is spray Pam spray into the cups when measuring sticky items like liquid syrups or honey, and they will release much easier. They are dishwasher safe in the top rack, but I don't bother since they are also a breeze to wash out by hand, and let dry.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My kitchen scale I bought may also suit your needs... 

My Amazon web site kitchen scale I outlined below is Item model number: ZK14-S. It is also under $14.00 depending on your chosen color configuration, it is extremely accurate, and takes regular AA batteries. (This also comes with extra AA batteries and a one year warranty).

This scale is also on Amazon's #1 best seller list and is ships free if you order over $35.00, or are a Prime Member.

I  chose the black which is really a black and silver color.

Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale, Elegant Black

• Accurate, easy-to-use digital kitchen scale weighs up to 11 lbs. (5050 grams) in precise graduations of 0.05 oz. (1 gram); Cleans and stores easily
  • Features a newly enlarged weighing platform finished in elegant chrome and 2 large buttons that generate an audible click confirmation
  • Precision Tare Button calculates the net weight of your ingredients (automatically subtracts the weight of any bowl or container)
  • Automatic Unit Button instantly converts from ounces to grams (oz. to g), pounds to kilograms (lbs. to kg) and displays results on the LCD screen
  • Runs on 2 AAA batteries (included) with an easy-access battery compartment (no screwdriver needed); Satisfaction Guaranteed

Product Description:

The new Pronto Digital Kitchen Scale by Ozeri is a true multifunction scale for the kitchen and home. The ultimate companion for the serious cook, the Pronto is built with the latest generation in sensor technology to ensure accuracy and immediate responses for the fast-paced chef. It features a newly enlarged weighing platform - one of the largest in its class, to accommodate larger bowls and food items. Elegantly designed with a refined chrome finish, the Pronto also doubles as a postage machine for your mail or a scale for your children's science projects. The Pronto's widescreen LCD displays results in grams, ounces, pounds, kilograms and the large Unit button lets you change the unit of measurement with push-button ease. Manufactured to rigorous quality specifications, the Pronto weighs up to 11 pounds (5050 grams) in graduations of just 0.05 ounces (1 gram) to help you achieve your diet and weight goals. The Pronto also features an ever handy Tare button which automatically subtracts the weight of any bowl or container to calculate the net weight of your ingredients. The Pronto's Tare and Unit buttons provide an audible and tactile click confirmation so you never have to push twice when preparing meals in a hurry. The Pronto's aesthetic design complements any kitchen décor and it cleans quickly and stores easily. The Pronto ships with 2 AAA batteries included, plus a bonus set of batteries and is guaranteed with Ozeri's 1 Year No-Hassle Warranty.

----------------------------------------------------------------