Respected Contributor

Need help from you creative geniuses out there!

Someone wants me to make a cake for her little boy's birthday, but she has something very specific in mind: she has a Ninja Turtles topper, and wants the frosting to glow. (Apparently it's something to do with the turtles cartoon...slime or something like that.) I've gone through search engines, and the only thing I've been able to find is adding tonic water to the frosting and it'll glow under a black light...but I don't think that's what she has in mind. Any suggestions or ideas?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need help from you creative geniuses out there!

OMG, I went thru Ninja Turtles with DS from age 5 to about freshman yr of college. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

From what I'm reading the only glow in the dark frosting is what you suggested with tonic water but it seems to only work with white buttercream frosting. Ninja's aren't white!

DS had many a Ninja Turtle birthday cakes that a friend of mine baked. I believe Wilton made those pans. They were formed cakes, not just a topper. Try ebay if you can't find one locally.

She made them all with their green frosting and with their appropriate sash/mask colors. Labor of love {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

I found lots of ideas. Here are 2 of them

http://domesticcharm.blogspot.com/2011/10/glow-in-dark-slime.html

http://myrecipemagic.com/recipe/recipedetail/slime-filled-cupcake-with-swamp-scum-frosting

Love the cupcakes! You could put the slime on a piece of cardboard and place on top of the cake for affects then remove it to cut and eat the cake or use cardboard to cover the whole cake.

Also saw green balloons made into turtles and even a pumpkin painted green!

Have fun.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about recipes you've asked for but did you look under "The Cake Doctor"? I have a couple of her books, hey, how about Buddy ... the guy who does decorative cakes? He may have a recipe or two that could help you. Think he even had a Q cookbook awhile back. May want to check on that too. One of the other gals here knows this Buddy.... of whom I speak. Maybe they can help. ??

Valued Contributor

oh, that ninja turtle Wilton cake pan. Remember it well, my hand was numb and paralyzed for weeks after frosting that cake. Hope you find the frosting you're looking for.

New Contributor

Well this was my first post and I don't know how to get the link to highlight. Sorry about that SnowPuppy.

New Contributor

Here is a recipe I found that I think might work for what you're making.. It doesn't exactly glow but is kind of neon in color. Here is the link: http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/slime-filled-cupcakes-swamp-scum-frosting-aka-coconut-lime-cupca...

Super Contributor

I would tell her you can only do so much as the toxic water will be dangerous and what Mother would want this. Consider the other children and she will agree with the other links above.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/19/2014 BOYINTX said:

I would tell her you can only do so much as the toxic water will be dangerous and what Mother would want this. Consider the other children and she will agree with the other links above.

I would agree with BOYINTX on this one. I would not add tonic water to the icing. Tonic water, which contains Quinine, may be toxic for others: I copied this bit of info on tonic water.
Tonic contains 83 mg. of quinine in a liter. Some people find even the small amount of quinine in tonic water can pose problems. These folks may experience ringing in the ears, rash, itching or blurred vision and should steer clear of tonic water altogether.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/19/2014 kitty60 said:

oh, that ninja turtle Wilton cake pan. Remember it well, my hand was numb and paralyzed for weeks after frosting that cake. Hope you find the frosting you're looking for.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} OMG, what we don't do for our kids' obsessions!

I looked at ebay. The full body Ninja cake pans are going for $50! {#emotions_dlg.scared}