Super Contributor

Checking my files for Fall recipes and thinking this looks delicious, easy, and different. Maybe you'll like to give it a try, too.

Two Hot Tamales’ Brussels Sprouts in Wine

1 1/2 lb small Brussels sprouts
4 T butter
1/2 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1 T medium dry white wine
1 T lemon juice

In a large bowl full of lightly salted water, soak the sprouts for 10 minutes to clean them, then rinse under running water. Trim off and discard any tough outer leaves. Cut each sprout in half lengthwise, and then thinly slice them crosswise.

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat. Sauté the sprouts until they begin to turn golden, then add the salt, pepper and wine and cook for about 4 minutes more, or until barely limp (the wine will change the cooking method from sautéing to steaming). Stir in the lemon juice, taste for seasoning, and serve immediately. 6 to 8 servings

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Brussels Sprouts in Wine

This looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my!

Wine and butter?! WOW!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

yummmmmm this sounds easy and good and i LOVE brussels sprouts!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Beebee2....I have never been a fan of brussel sprouts but this sounds good!! I think it is because they were never prepared right or with good flavors. Thanks!
Super Contributor

Hello, all, and thanks for your responses. If you try it, let us know your responses/reactions. I thought it sounded really good.

Honored Contributor

The only way Brussels sprouts would be palatable to me would be if I drank the bottle of wine first. That and kale are the only vegetables I won't eat.

Honored Contributor

On 10/16/2014 depglass said:

The only way Brussels sprouts would be palatable to me would be if I drank the bottle of wine first. That and kale are the only vegetables I won't eat.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing! Just 1 T of wine might not be enough for me!

DH likes them though...maybe I will give this a try for him!

Respected Contributor

What kind of wine is a dry white wine? Thanks!
Respected Contributor

Save the wine & enjoy a glass. Brussel sprouts taste best roasted at 450 for 15-20 minutes. Small size sprouts. No need to soak in salted water. Rinse, cut ends off. A little olive oil, S&P. Easy, delicious.