Contributor

I received my Ninja 4 cooking oven. I made one of the recipes that should have left a sauce to cover the chicken breasts I made. Instead, the liquid burned way. I did everything the recipe called for but there was not enough liquid for the amount of time it took for the chicken to cook. Very disappointing.

Respected Contributor
Was it the chicken picatta? I have made it before without problems, but I have to say, when you have an appliance with a vent and somewhat of an extended cooking time as opposed to am appliance like a pressure cooker with a short cooking time, you do need to check the fluid. It does boil and evaporate off. I like my Ninja a lot, but because of the evaporation/ boiling off action, I don't leave it unattended as I would a crock pot or pressure cooker. Poodlepet
Contributor

Hi Poodlepet. It was the balsamic glazed chicken with radicchio. This was my first try at using my Ninja so I didn't know about the liquid. I was just surprised that the recipe didn't have enough liquid. You would think that if they are writing a specific recipe for a specific appliance they would get it right. I will make sure that there is enough liquid in the pot from now on. I will try the chicken picatta next. Thanks for your help.

Respected Contributor
Celiacsue, I just looked at that recipe, and I don't think there is nearly enough liquid for the cooking time. There are still many recipes I want to try, but one thing I have learned about the Ninja is don't be afraid to add more liquid: for the balsamic chicken, I would doublei-mate even triple it. You can always reduce and concentrate flavors. This weekend, I want to try making the chicken in black bean sauce with cashews. On the side, I will make some mei fun and some oven baked egg rolls that are so good. Poodlepet
Occasional Contributor

I just purchased my first Ninja also as the recent TSV. I was going to make the White Turkey Chili this weekend. Can someone clarify the chipotle pepper part of the recipe? It says 1 can (7 oz) chipotle pepper but then says to finely chop half of the pepper and reserve 1 teaspoon adobo sauce. It says in step 3 to add the chopped pepper and reserved sauce. If you are not using the rest of the can of peppers, why do you need to reserve 1 tsp of sauce? I'm confused and I've been cooking a good number of years. Thanks.

Respected Contributor
Puppy, I would listen to your "inner chef" it's a matter of what you like and what suits your taste.... I could probably tolerate a tablespoon- not a seven ounce can!!! Poodlepet
Contributor

Thanks Poodlepet. I'm glad you agree. I will add more liquid. Why don't the Ninja recipe people know that? Crazy!!!!

Respected Contributor
I think they try to be somewhat accurate, but mistakes are made. For example, I bought the Ninja Pro food processor and there is a easy recipe for bread, and they give you an oven temperature and a time, but if you don't know anything about making bread,you are going to have problems. They left out the part where you let it rise until it's doubled, then you punch it down, let it rise again, until doubled, and then bake. That's really important information, and whoever read the gallies for them knows very little about cooking. That being said, many years ago when we had very little money, I splurged on one on Martha Stewart's cookbooks.....very little turned out and I really did not have basic cooking knowledge as I do now. Well, according to biographer Kitty Kelly, Martha not only lifted recipes from others, but didn't test too much either. I don't think she would in a million years let such sloppiness happen again these days, but over the years I have really come to appreciate Julia Child and how scientifically she approached the process of cook book writing. Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

An hour ago I browned and seasoned a Pork shoulder roast in the Ninja 4-in-1. I used 5 cups of chicken broth with fresh rosemary, thyme and garlic cloves to the broth. I rubbed the roast (when I seared it) with dry rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder. Boy does the kitchen smell good.

I put it on Oven/Steam Roast at 350 degrees for 3 hours. I will check with a thermometer at that time to see what the internal temperature is. (Turned down to 300 degrees as cooking fast)

I am writing down what I did to make and what I am using so if I make again I will remember. I lowered the temperature to 325 degrees after an hour and 1/2 and the temperature is now at 151 degrees. I will be taking this out a lot quicker than I thought.

Has anyone made a pork roast in this Ninja or the previous model that has any hints?

I love the browning feature and only using one appliance to do so.

Thanks

Respected Contributor
I have not made pork, but I find the temperature to run high: that's a smart move to turn it down....check the liquid, and using a thermometer is always the best idea- I couldn't live without it. Your roast sounds heavenly! Poodlepet