Respected Contributor

Do you know what a "Hot Dish" is?? I didn't .......

Just saw this on Mr. Food. Howard said a casserole was named for the type of dish it is baked in.

A hot dish has to have a meat, can of soup and some type of starch. He showed the recipe for Minnesota Hot Dish. It had ground beef, veggies, soup and tater tots on top.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you know what a ""Hot Dish"" is?? I didn't .......

My in-laws are from Minnesota and they call any type of casserole a hot dish. I'd never heard the term before I met them.
Honored Contributor

One of my best friends is from Minnesota, she uses this term occasionally. I have no idea what it means, I think it's a casserole with tater tots? 0 for 2 IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

I call it a hot dish all the time. It's browned hamburger or gr. turkey, with onion and some garlic, and celery, then put in macaroni or noodles, with spaghetti sauce - or some mushroom soup and mushrooms. Casserole, but we call it a hot dish and that's what my Mom used to call it too. I make it either with noodles, or with vegetables. Both delicious. And I live in Minnesota.

Respected Contributor

It's anything that needs to be warm to eat. When people ask you to bring a "hot dish" to a gathering, it just means something hot - usually a casserole, but could be a serving dish of any type of meat - chopped brisket, turkey, etc.

Frequent Contributor

I'm a Cheesehead by birth and have lived in MN for the last 20+ years... anything in a casserole dish is a ""hot dish"". It's what you bring to all the ""potluck"" dinners! I think I was practically an adult before I knew what a casserole was. My favorite hot dish was a tuna casserole. How confusing is that?!?!

Respected Contributor

On 10/7/2014 santorini said:

It's anything that needs to be warm to eat. When people ask you to bring a "hot dish" to a gathering, it just means something hot - usually a casserole, but could be a serving dish of any type of meat - chopped brisket, turkey, etc.

That's what I believe it is also.
Honored Contributor

I was born and raised in California and I would just assume it was something served warm. Never heard the phrase.

Trusted Contributor

I never heard this term used to mean a particular type of casserole dish with specific types of ingredients. Maybe it's a Minnesota thing. In my (Southern) experience, a "hot dish" is any kind of main dish or side dish served hot. It's often used to designate things people are to bring to a pot luck or family dinner -- a "hot dish" like a casserole, meat, or warm veggie dish -- as opposed to a "cold dish" like a green salad, fruit platter, veggie tray, congealed salad, etc.

Trusted Contributor

At the Minnesota State Fair you could buy a Hot Dish on a Stick! I believe it was meatballs and tator tots on a skewer, dipped in corn meal batter and deep fried. The dipping sauce was cream of mushroom soup. Google it and you can see pictures.