Contributor

Any recipe ideas using chicken for my bunco group of 12?

Looking for a DIFFERENT type of chicken recipe, either casserole or one pot for my bunco girls. Seems like we've run the gamut on recipes. One of the women doesn't eat anything that walks on 4 legs. Another doesn't eat seafood. I'm wracking my brain for something not too ordinary. Thanks for any help.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any recipe ideas using chicken for my bunco group of 12?

I like making buffalo chicken mac and cheese but i add onions, more chicken and tend to use more hot sauce. you can customize it

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/buffalo-chicken-mac-120033.aspx

Respected Contributor

I make boneless/skinless chicken thighs. Lately though, I just cut the skin off and leave the bone in. Anyway:

dip in egg

dredge in Italian seasoned bread crumbs

sprinkle some type of poultry season

a plop of margarine or butter

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until brown. I have made these ahead of time and keep them covered with foil on the WARM setting. You can serve them with lemon wedges or Italian Gardianara. You can also warm up some Pesto or serve with a pasta salad.

I make an awesome potato salad that my family goes crazy for.

Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

How comfortable R U with making pastry? Homemade pot pies. They can be individualized to your guest; vegetarian, chicken, seafood, etc...

Esteemed Contributor

Chicken ala King in toast cups.

I've never made this the same way twice....

I roast sherried, seasoned chicken in butter & EVOO, then cut up in cubes/pieces...and throw it in a pot, to which I add whatever vegetables....usually a quick cream of something soup, beef stock & the liquid from the chicken - in the thickness that you want.

Butter cupcake tins....cut the crusts off of white bread....press them into the tin, brush w/ melted butter, season w/ parsley flakes & toast for 7 minutes or so.

A yum dish that takes a little time because of the steps, but you get great results! Nothing else to serve save for a dessert (that, hopefully, you can buy!) Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Skylands said:

How comfortable R U with making pastry? Homemade pot pies. They can be individualized to your guest; vegetarian, chicken, seafood, etc...

Nice idea, skylands. Pot pies are yummy!

OP, does it have to be chicken? If it's a chilly day, how about some homemade manicotti? They're delish, & EASY to do! You can make the crepes a day ahead of time, & just assemble the next day. Add a nice green salad, & you'll have a lovely lunch for your crew of ladies.

(BTW, I usually add a handful of grated Asiago cheese to the filling, though it's not necessary.)

Have fun!

Manicotti with Homemade Shells (Crepes)

Additional Needs:

Marinara sauce, and extra grated mozzarella for topping

Shell ingredients: (Crepes)

1 ½ cup flour

1 ½ cup water

6 eggs

1/4 teaspoon salt

Shell Directions:

Briskly mix together ingredients with a whisk. (Will be liquid.) * Let rest in fridge 30-60 minutes.*

Heat an omelette pan over medium heat. (grease once w/ oil, wipe w/ a paper towel, & use that same paper towel to wipe out the pan between crepes.)

Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour batter into pan: about 1/4 cup.

Quickly swirl & tilt the pan to coat the bottom w/ batter & let cook undisturbed for a minute. When edges begin to curl, flip the crepe and cook on the other side for just a moment. I use my fingers! Remove & set aside on a wire rack to cool.

If making ahead of time, cool crepes, and stack layers w/ either waxed paper or parchment paper sandwiched between them. Wrap with plastic wrap, and put in fridge till needed.

Filling Ingredients:

1 ½ pounds Ricotta cheese (or 1# Ricotta, ½# small curd cottage cheese)

2 eggs, beaten

1 Tablespoon chopped Italian (flat leaf) parsley

8 ounces mozzarella, hand grated or diced

2 healthy Tablespoons grated Parmesan

sprinkle of salt & pepper

scant dusting of nutmeg, optional

Filling Directions:

Mix all ingredients together. That was easy!

To Assemble:

Preheat oven to 350

1. Grease a large casserole dish - at least 13X9.

2. Pour enough marinara into the bottom to coat it.

3. Spread a line of of filling (2-3 heaping Tablespoons) down the middle of each shell, & roll up. Place seam side down, side to side, in baking dish - just like you'd make enchiladas.

4. Pour marinara sauce over manicottis, and sprinkle additional mozzarella cheese over all.

5. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, until all is bubbly.

Let sit for about 20 minutes after taking out of the oven, to set up a bit.

** If your casserole dish doesn't fit them all, just make a second, smaller pan & freeze for later.

Respected Contributor

Here are some ideas. These are all favorites.

Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2014/07/baked-creamy-chicken-taquitos/

Chicken and Bowties (yummy pasta dish)

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/chicken-and-bow-ties/

Curried Chicken, served with jasmine rice and condiments

Butter Chicken, and basmati rice

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/butter-chicken-2/

Chicken Enchiladas or Enchilada Casserole

Chicken Spaghetti or Turkey Tetrazzini

Super Contributor

I don't play bunco anymore but you all have suggested great recipes. I will have to try several for family dinner............we are all tired of our same meals........maybe we can roll the dice after dinner......
Respected Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Skylands said:

The heck with making pastry - that's why Pillsbury fold out pie crusts were invented. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

I second the chicken pot pie idea - I use a tweaked version of allrecipes.com Chicken Pot Pie IX - found the original recipe to be a bit bland and needed more sauce, but YMMV. (I also save a step: simmer the chicken/veg in 2-1/2 cups of water w/Better Than Bouillon; drain and save instead throwing out the water and using chicken broth. I also mix it all together before placing in pie crust).

Chicken Pot Pie A la Covas

Servings: 8
Yield: 1 - 9 inch pie
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
<h3>Directions</h3>
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
  2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
  3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Beat one egg white and brush on top for a shiny-golden crust. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Denise
Frequent Contributor

I bought a bunco game Smiley Happy but never opened and never played .... Do you have fun with the group of friends?