Trusted Contributor
We love stuffed cabbage,but frankly I don't make it often because it's so hard to get those cabbage leaves off the head in one piece. I've cored and tried removing single leaves,cored and boiled the whole head,but still a mess. Leaves are in pieces. How do you do this? Any help greatly appreciated!
Esteemed Contributor
I freeze the head of cabbage. The leaves will pop right off.
Super Contributor
I love it but have never made it. Anyone care to share a recipe?
Respected Contributor

I cut a square around the core, then steam the whole head. Take the leaves off as they soften.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe, I just make it.

Respected Contributor

Well, first of all, I look for a cabbage with loose leaves, the I cut through the "rib" near the base of the cabbage, one leaf at a time. I can usually get a dozen or so leaves that way, which is all I need, and I shred the rest of the cabbage and put it on the bottom of the pot.

Here's the recipe I use:

1 head of cabbage

Approx. 1 lb. of ground beef

1 egg

1 onion, chopped

a few Tbs. of Worcestershire sauce (adds moistness)

1/2 - 1 cup of cooked rice

salt & pepper

2 cans condensed tomato soup

Separate the cabbage leaves as I mentioned above, and parboil for a couple of minutes to they're pliable. Shred remaining cabbage.

Gently mix together the ground beef, egg, rice, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper, and about 2 Tbs. of the tomato soup in a large bowl.

Put about 1/2 can of the tomato soup on the bottom of a large pot or Dutch oven, and cover with the shredded cabbage.

Take one cabbage leaf at a time and put about 2 Tbs. (depending on the size of the leaf) of the meat mixture in the center. First fold over the bottom of the ribbed part, then the top, then each side, and place the bundle atop the shredded cabbage. Repeat until you run out of meat mixture.

Pour the remaining tomato soup (DO NOT add water) over the whole thing, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes.

Respected Contributor

My mother used to make "unstuffed cabbage" and it was delicious and easy. The same ingredients as stuffed cabbage, except that the cabbage was chopped up and added to the meat/rice/tomato sauce mixture to simmer.

You could experiment and try to make yours unstuffed, or Google for recipes; I saw some online.

Honored Contributor

I do it the lazy girls way, shredded cabbage and meat balls, same seasoning and it tastes great and a bit less fuss

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
On 9/29/2014 PinkyPetunia said:

My mother used to make "unstuffed cabbage" and it was delicious and easy. The same ingredients as stuffed cabbage, except that the cabbage was chopped up and added to the meat/rice/tomato sauce mixture to simmer.

You could experiment and try to make yours unstuffed, or Google for recipes; I saw some online.

Ha I didn't see your post when i posted mine

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I have always used a sweet and sour sauce on my stuffed cabbage. Lately its been cranberry juice and some ketchup and I season as I go along

Honored Contributor

I also do the easy way. I boil the cabbage and then layer the leaves with meatballs and with the meat mix.