Esteemed Contributor

Keurig and the new cups ADVICE

Just in case my old Keurig stops working and has to be trashed should I try to replace it now with one of the tried and trusted models similar to my own. I am so afraid to go to the 2.0 because it is not backward compatible. It seems the old cups will not work with it and the marketplace is full of sales on old cup technology (or lack of it)

I just don't want to be stuck with the new cup which will mean higher prices over time until someone BREAKS THE CODE and sells off brand generic versions.

My gut feeling is this is just one more poor choice for Keurig as in the vue cups, but what do I know I am just a consumer.

Anyone try the Mr. Coffee coffee maker for the K cups and which version. Do you like it? Why or why not?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Keurig and the new cups ADVICE

The only problem that I can see with this new one is so far you can't use your own favorite coffee.
Respected Contributor

Most of the k cups that are keurig approved are already the new kind. I'd definitely use up my old first. If you like a brand that is not on the keurig bandwagon I'd go for something else for sure. I even saw some vue cups at BB&B that were compatible. I'm guessing travel mug cups are not far behind.

There's ways to trick it already, just tape a new label on the old. I saw a video doing the same thing to a solofil cup. I may try that when it's no longer under warranty.

The code is nothing more than the keurig trademark at the rim, I'm pretty sure off companies won't be able to just put that on their cups now. Maybe when the patent expires. Even then it may be iffy.

Right now the new cups are the same price as the old, and even non bandwagon kcups. Just depends on the brand and how much coffee is in them. With exception of flavored more coffee is better. .47 oz seems to be the largest and considered extra bold cups. .33 is the average.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 lovestopaint said: The only problem that I can see with this new one is so far you can't use your own favorite coffee.

That's the issue for me. I asked them if the new cups are recyclable and am waiting on a response. Lots of us use the My K-Cup or other fill it yourself cup to eliminate waste. If that's no longer an option and the new cups are not recyclable like the current cups are not, I have a problem with that.

EDIT: Here's the response I got back from Keurig concerning the recyclable k-cups:

Chynna, addressing the environmental impact of the Keurig systems while continuing to deliver extraordinary beverages is a critical priority for us. Keurig is committed to 100% of our K-Cup packs being recyclable by 2020 and we are pursuing multiple avenues to achieve this. For more info on our 2020 target to make 100% of our K-Cup packs recyclable, visit http://krg.bz/1DRFUMl

Currently the only recyclable K-Cups are the Vue packs, which are partially recyclable. But since the Vue brewer has apparently been discontinued, that's not really a good option.

Occasional Contributor

Can you use regular cups in the kurig's vue model?
Respected Contributor

On 9/29/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 9/29/2014 lovestopaint said: The only problem that I can see with this new one is so far you can't use your own favorite coffee.

That's the issue for me. I asked them if the new cups are recyclable and am waiting on a response. Lots of us use the My K-Cup or other fill it yourself cup to eliminate waste. If that's no longer an option and the new cups are not recyclable like the current cups are not, I have a problem with that.

EDIT: Here's the response I got back from Keurig concerning the recyclable k-cups:

Chynna, addressing the environmental impact of the Keurig systems while continuing to deliver extraordinary beverages is a critical priority for us. Keurig is committed to 100% of our K-Cup packs being recyclable by 2020 and we are pursuing multiple avenues to achieve this. For more info on our 2020 target to make 100% of our K-Cup packs recyclable, visit http://krg.bz/1DRFUMl

Currently the only recyclable K-Cups are the Vue packs, which are partially recyclable. But since the Vue brewer has apparently been discontinued, that's not really a good option.

I saw vue cups that were for the 2.0 so I'm guessing the travel mugs will be here soon.

I use my kcups as seed starters. Our recycle plant is nothing more than a dump. I'm sure they've never recycled anything.

~~
Respected Contributor

On 9/29/2014 CHARLEYDOG said: Can you use regular cups in the kurig's vue model?

I think I saw an adapter on Amazon, but you can't just use one without it.

~~
Esteemed Contributor

bonnie, I have a 6 year old K40 at home that works perfectly.

I bought a K65 for work because I want the programmable feature and the quietness. I can use the K-Cups I have at home.

@ChynnaBlue: 2020??? Really? Debc has successfully reused her k-cups.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

Just to let anyone who is interested know, the fix for the old cups works fine. I just tape a label from one of the new ones onto any kcup. It also works on the solo fill. I had a cup of my fave, Veranda, earlier. It was the best I've ever had in the solo fill. I used the strong setting so the water would go slower through the grounds. i thought the fix would be a lot of trouble but it's not at all. The most time it takes is to cut the label off a new cup. Another benefit with the solo fill is you can make the Keurig give up to 10 oz. of water without having to hold the button down. Just place in the holder without any grounds, if that's what you want, and brew normally. We are enjoying our new Keurig very much.