Honored Contributor

Shake-n-Bake Pork Chops? How long? What temp? Thanks.

I'm making Shake-n-Bake pork chops tomorrow. I haven't made them in decades and the instructions on the box are not clear.

I'm baking a veggie casserole in the same oven. At what temp do I need to bake the chops and for how long? They are about 1/2 inch thick, boneless.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Shake-n-Bake Pork Chops? How long? What temp? Thanks.

My pkg says 400° for approx 40 min.

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 house_cat said:

I'm making Shake-n-Bake pork chops tomorrow. I haven't made them in decades and the instructions on the box are not clear.

That brings back memories! I didn't even know Shake-n-Bake still existed! I think I remember when it first came out, or at least, when my DM first made it on that little electric stove. Later she switched to corn flake crumbs. Dipped the chops (and later, chicken parts) in melted butter (she used oleo) and then the packaged crumbs. Apple sauce and a can of Spaghetti-O's on the side. Back then that was considered an "easy" meal to prepare, for a single parent working full time. - Bird

Honored Contributor

My mom used Shake-n-Bake back in the 70s, I guess? Cooking wasn't her favorite thing to do and she cooked all kinds of meats until they were literally burned. I guess this is why I never cared for pork chops, but I thought I'd give it a try again. I don't want to overcook them, but I fear undercooking them.

I made a corn casserole from my Gooseberry Patch book. It should cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. I was wondering if I could lay the chops on top and cook it all together. I guess this will be an experiment.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

The chops are boneless so they will cook faster than a chop that's on the bone. If you place the chops on top of the casserole the coating won't crisp up on the bottom and sides of the meat as it will draw moisture from the casserole. Better to bake the chops separately on a foil lined jelly roll pan. You can cook the meat at 350 also. Check after 30 minutes and don't overcook as the chops will be dry and tough.

I gave up on pork chops years ago. Mine always turned out dry or tough or otherwise unsatisfactory so I use chicken cutlets in place of pork chops and I am happier with that.

Esteemed Contributor

OMG, I have not used that in ages! I am going to the store and making shake & bake tonight!

Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 PinkyPetunia said:

The chops are boneless so they will cook faster than a chop that's on the bone. If you place the chops on top of the casserole the coating won't crisp up on the bottom and sides of the meat as it will draw moisture from the casserole. Better to bake the chops separately on a foil lined jelly roll pan. You can cook the meat at 350 also. Check after 30 minutes and don't overcook as the chops will be dry and tough.

I gave up on pork chops years ago. Mine always turned out dry or tough or otherwise unsatisfactory so I use chicken cutlets in place of pork chops and I am happier with that.

Those were my concerns, too. Thank you for the advice.

I haven't cooked them in years, either, but I'm trying to add some variety and remembered those old Shake-n-Bake commercials... Smile

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I use Shake-n-Bake all the time. I put the Porkchops in an oven set at 400 and check them at about a 30 minute interval. I always use a meat thermometer and take them out when the temperature registers 175. My meat thermometer also beeps when that temperature is reached.

I just love using a meat thermometer and I find I get excellent results with it.

Esteemed Contributor

In the oven now!!

Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 colliegirls said:

In the oven now!!

That's funny, colliegirls Smile I'm easily suggestible when it comes to cooking.. I want to cook everything I see!

I wound up cooking at my mom's apartment. Her oven isn't as reliable as mine. I cooked the corn casserole on the bottom rack and the chops on top in a separate pan. I cooked them for 40 minutes at 350. They were definitely cooked all the way through, yet still moist. I'm glad there's another packet in my S-n-B box so I can do it again before too long.

~ house cat ~