Trusted Contributor

Cheddar Cheese Sauce for Dipping

Does anyone have a good recipe for cheddar cheese sauce for dipping breadsticks? Or is there a ready-made sauce that is nice and smooth? I don't want nacho sauce as I'm not fond of spicy foods. There are many hits when I google this, but most of them are for nacho cheese sauce.

Do you make your own breadsticks? Do you have a recipe for them? Or, do you buy frozen ones from the supermarket/bakery?

Thanks in advance for your help.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Cheddar Cheese Sauce for Dipping

The problem with using cheddar is that when melted it's very fat and greasy. Looks very unappealing. A lot of nacho recipes call for Velveeta which can be mixed with another cheese. You don't have to make it spicy.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, kachina. I'll pick up some velveeta the next time I'm in the store.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

Hi wismiss,

I have no problem making homemade gravy, but homemade cheese sauce is very temperamental. It can end up grainy or break and it is not easy to fix once it gets to that point, I could never quite get it right. When our local Arby's closed, we wanted to be able to recreate it at home and the most difficult part of recreating it, was the cheese sauce. We tried a clone Arby's cheese sauce recipe, Cheese Wiz and Velvetta and didn't like them (too salty and the taste was not what we were looking for). We discovered the winner, by accident in the pasta sauce aisle. Ragu Double Cheese sauce, ended up being exactly what we were looking for. Great texture, nice cheese taste and not too salty. For bread sticks, I do make my own, usually from roll recipes, just change the shape, I also like Fleischmann's Simply Homemade bread mixes, you can use the dough setting on your bread machine or by hand. You can add all kinds of herbs, spices, cheese, bacon etc to the dough or sprinkle on before baking. Last favorite place for bread sticks, the bakery at our Safeway or Walmart, especially if the are fresh and warm, hard to pass up. Hope this helps.

tkins

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, tkins. I will have to look for the Ragu Double Cheese Sauce. I do make my own bread, so I think breadsticks would not be too much of a challenge.

I was concerned about the cheese sauce, because a you said, it can get grainy, or it ca break down.

Where do the restaurants and civic centers get their cheese sauce? Maybe it's in great big cans or something. I wonder if I would find it in big cans if it can be frozen in small portions.

Again, thanks. I'll look up the Ragu.

Honored Contributor

Wismiss

I would look for a recipe for a good Welsh Rarebit (welsh rabbit). You can make that with cheddar cheese, and it tastes like real melted cheddar cheese, rather than a nacho like cheese "sauce".

Here is one from allrecipe. Just leave out the 1/8 teas cayenne if you don't do hot. Although I think that much would be not spicy at all.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Welsh-Rabbit/

Honored Contributor

On 9/26/2014 shoekitty said:

Wismiss

I would look for a recipe for a good Welsh Rarebit (welsh rabbit). You can make that with cheddar cheese, and it tastes like real melted cheddar cheese, rather than a nacho like cheese "sauce".

Here is one from allrecipe. Just leave out the 1/8 teas cayenne if you don't do hot. Although I think that much would be not spicy at all. Welsh rabbit is really easy, and always turns out. We used to keep it warm in a fondue pot, but a small crock pot or warmer would work. It cannot get cold as you know, because the cheese will harden a bit

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Welsh-Rabbit/

Honored Contributor

If you use cheddar cheese, you must make a roux sauce, butter, flour and milk, then add the cheese. Other cheeses don't need this step. Do you have a fondue book, great recipes for dipping cheese sauces. I bought one at Amazon.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info, Shoekitty and mousiegirl. What a good idea--fondue book and Welsh Rarebit. I love to go to allrecipe.com and didn't even think of looking there.

Again, thanks.

Super Contributor

Do you mean fondue?

Here's a link to a lot of cheese fondue recipes. This was all the rage in the 1970s and 80s.