Trusted Contributor

Question on eating out........

I had to go to the "BIG CITY" yesterday, and I did treat myself to a meal at Longhorn Steakhouse.........I ordered the prime rib (which actually turned out to be a rib eye instead, and not true prime rib)........BUT it was very good..........However.......I ordered their Potato and Leek gratin, and they brought it out to me in a dish that was totally broken in half.......in 2 pieces......and they did not recognize it......OK.......I instantly did, and they immediately replaced the item.......No problem........NOW, my statement is.........I overheard people talking about the fact that they now auto list a tip of 15%, 18%, and 20%........They were saying they were wrong in listing tip amounts on the ticket, as it shout be according to service.....What do you think.......should restaurants show the amount of % tips????? I generally pay more, as the server is not responsible for the food, or quality, and it should not be held against them, as now days someone other than your server, brings out the meals......The waiter/waitress is generally paid a small amount.......and there are several to split the tips that are left.........Your comments.......{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question on eating out........

Well as a single old lady I never know what to tip and like that it is auto included for me..................with the right to refuse ,of course Wink

Super Contributor

Unfortunately, many folks are unable to do simple calculations and might believe they are leaving a decent tip. The percentages that are printed on your receipt are just suggestions as to what you might tip, not what you must tip.

I actually find them to be helpful because it saves me the trouble of trying to figure it out in my head, lol! Saying that, I still use my own discretion when deciding how closely I follow their "suggestions".

Esteemed Contributor

I tip 20% for good service. It's easy math for me.

Not everyone knows how to calculate percentages. I think the guide is there for people like that.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I think it is a help to me, so as not to use my tip calculator on my phone or a card that I have.......I do not take it as a negative........like some........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Sounds like they're serving their au gratin in Temptations.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I've been to several restaurants that show "Suggested Tip" amounts at the bottom of the check. Doesn't bother me in the least. Doesn't influence me in the least. I ignore them and tip what I want to tip. However, if the tip is automatically added to the bill with no forewarning on the menu, I'll let it go and take my business elsewhere. I might also dispute the amount with my credit card issues on the basis of no information prior to receiving the restaurant's bill.

Frequent Contributor

On 9/20/2014 kachina624 said: Sounds like they're serving their au gratin in Temptations.

Ouch!

We tip 20%

Do you tip on the amount before taxes or include the taxes in the tip amount? We seldom run into prefigured tips unless it's for a gathering of 8 or more.

Honored Contributor

I've noticed some restaurants doing this. I don't care for it. I'd rather figure out what I'm going to tip. It doesn't bother me to see it, I just glance past it.
Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 sienna123 said:
On 9/20/2014 kachina624 said: Sounds like they're serving their au gratin in Temptations.

Ouch!

We tip 20%

Do you tip on the amount before taxes or include the taxes in the tip amount? We seldom run into prefigured tips unless it's for a gathering of 8 or more.

I tip on the amount BEFORE taxes.