Trusted Contributor

Granted, I have not been in the real world since some time in June.......I have had some major medical issues, and continue to do so, but it was time for me to go to the grocery store, as I do have to travel about 45-50 miles, one way, to do so........{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} Well, I had to go to my local MD yesterday, for a regular visit, and I went to Walmart to restock canned goods, and SAMS for fruits, meats, and household essentials, and Publix, for things that I like that I can get no place else, and between the 3, I spent almost $900........{#emotions_dlg.scared} I was not aware of the prices that food and such had gone up to.........Needless to say........It made me sick all over again.......{#emotions_dlg.crying} I live alone......I am one person, and can understand how families are finding it difficult to eat, but do not understand how they can afford fast food prices, instead of eating at home.........It made me understand the struggle of families to eat.........{#emotions_dlg.huh}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Re: Talk about shock!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes!! Never spent that much
Honored Contributor

forrestwolf, I am sorry to read about your health troubles. I hope you are feeling better. There have been threads started asking about you. There are three in my family, and yes it is so very expensive. Every time I make a stop into the grocery stores it is $200.00, and I am in there about three times a week. I shop at a local Market Street, Walmart, and some at Sprouts. We do have plenty to eat, but I can see where people could easily struggle to buy. We also have two kitties, and they of course require only the best. Lol. You feel better soon.
Honored Contributor

I can believe it. Groceries and paper goods and cleaning products are so expensive.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi forest,I have not talked with you in a very long time.I didn't know you were sick. I hope you are completely well now.Please take care of yourself. You probably don't even remember me....lol

Yes,food prices are very high.That is really sad because we have so many farmers and great land in this USA but we buy most our foods (and almost everything) from other countries.I guess that is what brings prices up.

My heart goes out to young families with lots of mouths to feed. Someone in Gov better wake up before it gets to late to solve our own problems .

I think my daughters whole paycheck goes for food for her family.

(formally Corgimom)

Esteemed Contributor

I have never spent that much either. I allow $100 a week for groceries, dogfood & paper goods. I live alone too & never spend it all. Yesterday I spent $44 for the week on food including hamburger for spaghetti, a strip steak, salmon fillet, 4 chicken thighs & center cut of lamb, veggies, water & a few misc items. $900 would feed me for months.

Valued Contributor

Yes the food prices have certainly gone up. How many weeks did you buy groceries for? I usually stick to good old Aldi and if I buy meat it will be from an independent grocer.

If I buy cheese or meat for sandwiches it will be from a local deli that sells it for about 3 dollars a pound. Snacks for lunch come Big Lots too.

Honored Contributor

Forrestwolf, I am happy to see you are back. Notice she said re-stock, that's like starting from scratch. I can easily see this amount if you haven't been shopping for a long time. Just go add up the amount of what is on your frig door. I did it for the heck of it and hit over $75.00. That's jam, ketchup, pickles, etc. Maybe if I get my nerve up I'll go add up my pantry. Fresh food? I already know that's high because of the massive increases in fish and beef.

Trusted Contributor

straitgirl, If you look at the weeks since I have been, $900 would be what you have spent at $100/week....MatleseMomma, yes I do remember you, and no......I still have a way to go........just glad to be in my OWN home again.......Tissyanne.....Thank you.....Thanks to all............{#emotions_dlg.wub} I just have not been in a grocery store to realize the price of foods now days...........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Contributor

To save on groceries I cannot vegetables,fruits,have two herb gardens,not to mention my in laws do the same and help us,oh by the way ,I PAY all the bills with my disable check for my husband and I I with epilepsy and husband with severe back issues.