Trusted Contributor

O/T: I am buying a new counter top microwave. Any suggestions?

Good or bad.

Boop

Respected Contributor

Re: O/T: I am buying a new counter top microwave. Any suggestions?

Bigger is better? Wattage anyway. Ours is a Panasonic inverter. 1250 watts. I think it works great.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

We have a GE built-in over the oven. We have had it for 20 years and no problems at all. Same with our dishwasher and oven. One will probably die eventually, but I would say I am happy with this brand.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/20/2014 debc said:

Bigger is better? Wattage anyway. Ours is a Panasonic inverter. 1250 watts. I think it works great.

Yes, more power is better, minimum 1000 watts.

My recommendation is a Sharp, with a turntable. I've bought 2 microwaves in the last 35 years and they have both been Sharp. I won't buy anything else.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Regular Contributor

A month ago I bought a Kenmore Elite 2.2 Cu. Ft., 1200 Watts microwave oven from Sears

I like the size and wattage, has lots of features.The price , online, was good for the size. Kmart also has it.

Check on line, you can order it and pick it up at Sears.Smile

Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 debc said:

I've looked at the Panasonic Inverter as well, but many people speak of it failing after a year or so. Have you had any troubles with it? How long have you had it? Any issues?

Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 tigriss said:
On 9/20/2014 debc said:

I've looked at the Panasonic Inverter as well, but many people speak of it failing after a year or so. Have you had any troubles with it? How long have you had it? Any issues?

We've had it for several years. No issues for us. I'd buy another one. Supposedly the 'inverter' part is more efficient. I can't tell if that's true or not but the automatic reheat button is wonderful. I don't like defrosting in the microwave so I don't know about that one.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I like Sharp brand. Each of mine has lasted at least 18 years.

I also agree about wattage. I'd go 1,100 to 1,200 watts. Those little bitty ones are exponentially less effective because you need more circulation space and higher wattage to get the right effect.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Kenmore Elite convection microwave, and I really don't like it very much. I have really only used the convection feature once. Cooking made a mess in the oven. I loved my Sharp convection microwave years ago. Many microwaves are made in Korea by Samsung.

Home Depot has a lot of products in their online store.

Frequent Contributor

Another vote for Sharp. They last forever. I saw a nice Sharp at Walmart-look of all stainless on outside - do not need one but ""if"" I did that's the one I would buy.