Respected Contributor

Red Wine Cocoa cake for Fall

I don't see this recipe much in the US, but it's really amazing. It's a red wine cake with chocolate that is common in Germany and Switzerland. It's a good way to use up a bottle of wine and it is one of those cakes that has people amazed that wine gives the color and flavor. It is usually made in a springform bundt pan but you can use a non-springform pan, which is more common in the US (Germans use springforms a lot.) A trick to grease the pan is to melt butter and mix in flour (or flour and cocoa) and then use a silicone brush to get into EACH cranny of the pan. Helps with release. This cake is not iced (typical of European cakes, they don't much go for icing except on gateau-type cakes, and then it's often stabilised whipped cream.)

• 4¼ cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon (I use Penzey's Vietnamese)
  • 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
  • 1 cup plus 1½ Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp.
  • 1¼ cup sugar
  • 6 eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons good vanilla extract
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 2 60% bittersweet chocolate bars roughly chopped (Lindt is good)
  • Confectioners sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 F
  2. Grease a 10 inch (26 cm) bundt spring-form pan. Dust with flour Set aside.
  3. Mix and sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cocoa. Set aside.
  4. In a stand-mixer with paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar until fluffy.
  5. Add eggs, one at a time.
  6. Mix in the vanilla extract.
  7. With the stand-mixer set on low, add ½ of the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
  8. Add the wine and mix until just combined.
  9. Add the rest of the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
  10. Fold in the chocolate with a spatula by hand until evenly distributed.
  11. Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan.
  12. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Baking times may vary.
  13. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, and then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
  14. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Super Contributor

Re: Red Wine Cocoa cake for Fall

I'm moving to Schaufhaussen, Switzerland in January. I will whip this baby out and amaze them all, lol.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Thanks BGB. It's a 2 year work assignment and I'm super excited. I think it will a once in a lifetime adventure.

Honored Contributor

Well, I'll be! I never knew there was such a thing as a bundt spring form pan! I just looked it up and Macy's has one for $30. Cool pan! My springform is getting old...I should get one of these dual pans next!

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Respected Contributor

I would really love to try this recipe, with one little variation: I would like to make it using chocolate wine. If you haven't tried it, you are missing out-especially if you love chocolate! It's taste is like a rich liquor-it doesn't taste like wine at all. Every now and then I buy a bottle, chill it very well, and have a glass for dessert. Poodlepet