Super Contributor

Easy way to make it for anyone interested!

You wash it thoroughly. Cut in in 1/2 lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Place it in oiled bakeware (with the skin facing up, the empty bowl side down.) Bake until you can poke your finger on the skin and it gives (varies in time based on size of squash).

Or! You can get creative and bake it with the bowl side up and bake it with whatever you want to experiment with.

In either case, above, you simple remove the "spaghetti" from the shell.

Maybe this has been done before and mentioned on this board, but I just found out about it and was so delighted because I used to struggle peeling the uncooked squash and then steaming the seeded melon.

Trusted Contributor

I picked up one at an open market last weekend and made it tonight. Great with salt, pepper, a little butter and a LOT of parmesan cheese.

Honored Contributor

We love sketti squash, only thing it can be really tough to cut at times

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

re: hard to cut (and to make seeds easier to remove)-

I poke some holes into the whole squash with a meat serving fork, the microwave it on high for 5 minutes. Wait a few, then cut lengthwise- so much easier to cut-, scoop seeds and put cut sides down on parchment lined backing sheet. 45 minutes at 350 degrees finishes it up nicely.

The cooked spaghetti squash freezes well in a ziplock freezer bag so I often cook 2 at a time. I just nuke it in a pyrex bowl to serve.

In addition to serving with sauces (really good with alfredo as well as traditional red), it works well in a casserole with cheese, onions, jalapenos etc just like the traditional yellow squash.

We love it.

Honored Contributor

That's how my mom always cooked spaghetti or acorn squash, so it's how I've always done it, too. I peeled a spaghetti squash for a recipe once and it was a big pain - glad you found a new way!

I love squash. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Thanks for your replies!

I love spaghetti squash and never had it (neither of my parents cooked such things, lol).

So I always used to have a "spaghetti squash" project whenever I bought one. And I dreaded it. It was like trying to peel a bowling ball.

I just found out, as I mentioned, how to do it the way I mentioned, and I just wanted to share!

Yum! I like mine with lots of olive oil, a bit of salt, and chopped fresh tomatoes.

Trusted Contributor

I love spaghetti squash!

My grocery store (Wegman's) will cut the squash in half for free, helps so much!

I scoop out the seeds & scrap it some & sometimes I cook in the microwave with a little water & a splatter guard over it (holds in the steam)...check every 5 minutes, doesn't take long

I freeze it so I can have it whenever we have pasta, this way I eat about half real pasta & use this as a pasta filler

Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 AnnMarie-1 said:

I love spaghetti squash!

My grocery store (Wegman's) will cut the squash in half for free, helps so much!

I scoop out the seeds & scrap it some & sometimes I cook in the microwave with a little water & a splatter guard over it (holds in the steam)...check every 5 minutes, doesn't take long

I freeze it so I can have it whenever we have pasta, this way I eat about half real pasta & use this as a pasta filler

I didn't know that Wegmans will cut it for you. I rarely buy spaghetti squash because of the tough shell.

Who does the cutting? Do you ask the people making the ready to go veggies?

Honored Contributor
On 9/18/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/18/2014 AnnMarie-1 said:

I love spaghetti squash!

I didn't know that Wegmans will cut it for you. I rarely buy spaghetti squash because of the tough shell.

Who does the cutting? Do you ask the people making the ready to go veggies?

Wow, AnnMarie! Another WNY Wegman's shopper here...and I didn't know that either. Thanks for sharing that.

Yes, please...let us know who you go to in the store for this.

I have to wait until my DH comes home and gets the chain saw...lol

qvcrose had a great idea above to poke and microwave for 5 mins. in order to cut it easier. That is a great idea! Thanks, qvcrose! I wouldn't have to wait for DH to get home to start cooking!

Valued Contributor

I have always been a big fan of Spaghetti Squash. I bake it whole, then scoop out the seeds, and the skin separates easily from the "spaghetti." I prepare it with grilled chicken, salsa, and sour cream. It is so good!

I'm going to head to the farm stand right now to pick some up-thanks for the inspiration!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}