Respected Contributor

If you make homemade Sunday Sauce or Meat Sauce or Bolognese Sauce what kind of

canned tomato products do you use. Lots of recipes call for crushed tomatoes or tomato puree for the recipes, and I wanted to know what kind you buy.

Respected Contributor

Re: If you make homemade Sunday Sauce or Meat Sauce or Bolognese Sauce what kind of

Whole tomatoes and crush myself.

Respected Contributor

Re: If you make homemade Sunday Sauce or Meat Sauce or Bolognese Sauce what kind of

I use Pastene Kitchen Ready tomatoes just like my mother did!

Esteemed Contributor

Tuttarosa. I use a combination of crushed and paste. Contidina is my backup. Whenever possible, fresh tomatoes from the garden, especially plum tomatoes, are added.
Super Contributor

Crushed and tomato paste.

Respected Contributor

Cento got high marks for being a excellent Product.

Cirio, Cucina Viva and Sclafani also got highmarks.

I've seen Cento and Tuttarosa in my store.

May try Cento first!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Frequent Contributor

I use tomato puree in my meat sauce. I always try to buy Cento brand. Sometimes I will buy San Marzano brand if Cento is not available, but that brand is usually more expensive.

Respected Contributor

Diced and/or crushed tomatoes are tomatoes that were blemished and not good enough to be used as whole. For the best possible canned tomatoes, buy only whole tomatoes.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

On 9/18/2014 IamMrsG said:

Diced and/or crushed tomatoes are tomatoes that were blemished and not good enough to be used as whole. For the best possible canned tomatoes, buy only whole tomatoes.

ITA!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I use crushed tomatoes - when we are in pittsburgh Delallo brand - when we are in florida - contadina.