Respected Contributor

Frozen bananas and long term storage question

Last summer we had a huge crop of bananas so I thought I would freeze some in Food Saver bags. DD wanted to make pancakes and took a bag out. There were still some ice crystals in it, so it's not as if it was sitting out on the counter for any length of time. We ended up not using them because they had-of all things-a strong alcohol smell! In another week or so, we will have more bananas than we know what to do with. I would like to freeze some for future use, but I am not happy with the results. I did not use lemon juice (I have read about doing that to prevent Browning), but Browning was not the problem. Any ideas? Thanks, Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Re: Frozen bananas and long term storage question

I use ours mostly for smoothies with no problems. I looked online & it says peeled bananas will stay good up to 4 months & unpeeled 2 months.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few in the freezer all peeled and am thinking of making smoothies this afternoon. Any advice? Recipe?

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 bonnielu said:

I have a few in the freezer all peeled and am thinking of making smoothies this afternoon. Any advice? Recipe?

I like banana blueberry. I use 2 bananas, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup or so of almond milk.

I also like pineapple, strawberries, banana. I use a banana, about 10-12 frozen strawberries, 20 chunks frozen pineapple, 1 cup or so of almond milk.

If you have fresh fruit instead of frozen to use I would use less liquid & add some ice.

I make these in the Vitamix for me & DH.

Respected Contributor

Bananas are the great sweeteners of the smoothie world. I just chunk them up into a gallon bag and freeze for use in smoothies. I buy two bunches at a time and freeze. I also like them instead of ice to chill the smoothie. I love the recipes above, but can't use pinapple due to the level of fructose in it.

Honored Contributor

On 9/3/2014 tigriss said:

Bananas are the great sweeteners of the smoothie world. I just chunk them up into a gallon bag and freeze for use in smoothies. I buy two bunches at a time and freeze. I also like them instead of ice to chill the smoothie. I love the recipes above, but can't use pinapple due to the level of fructose in it.

I do this too. I might throw some choc chips in too
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I actually let my bananas really ripen on the counter before attempting to freeze (but my purpose is to only use them in smoothies or protein pancakes). I peel them, cut in half, and place each half in a snack size Baggie and write the date with a Sharpie. I have a container in the freezer I keep my stash of frozen bananas.

I want to warn you, when the power goes out the first thing that defrosts is the bananas and they make a terrible mess. That is why I keep my stash in a plastic bin in the freezer (where I live the power goes out frequently).

Super Contributor

One of the best things I discovered is called PB2. It is basically powered Peanut Butter. When you add it to recipes, it provides a delicious peanut butter flavor with 80% less fat! Try adding it to a smoothie with a banana...life changing!

Respected Contributor

On 9/3/2014 Smurfette said:

One of the best things I discovered is called PB2. It is basically powered Peanut Butter. When you add it to recipes, it provides a delicious peanut butter flavor with 80% less fat! Try adding it to a smoothie with a banana...life changing!

I saw that this weekend at the store. I thought it was just powdered PB. So it has all the benefits without all the fat, right?

Frequent Contributor

I freeze my bananas all the time but they never last more than a few weeks. We recently bought a Ninja and use them in our smoothies.

1 Cup of unsweetened Almond Milk

1 frozen banana

1/2 cup frozen blueberries

1T of Black Chia seeds

And a few pieces of either frozen pineapple or nectarines

We now always have frozen fruit for our smoothies and we think it is a good way to get our fruit in for the day.