Honored Contributor

I recently decided to try whole nutmeg for the first time in my life, so, ordered from Penzey's, of course, and now wonder, do I need to peel it? Also, I did use a bit of it (without peeling) and thought it tasted kind of bitter, not at all like the ground nutmeg I am used to; anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks for your help.

"To each their own, in all things".
Contributor

Re: A question re: whole nutmeg

I always buy whole nutmeg and use a micro plane to grate it. I've only bought the better quality brands at the grocery and I know they don't need to be peeled. A little goes a long way.
Super Contributor

I've never used ground nutmeg, I didn't even know you could get it. Always had a nutmeg grater. I don't put it on anything "raw", it always gets cooked, on custard tarts, in cheese sauces.

Honored Contributor

I just grate it with a microplane but I have never bought it from Penzey's.

Super Contributor

I grate mine on the microplane also. It is definitely more pronounced than the ground nutmeg.

Super Contributor

You don't have to peel it--just use a nutmeg grater (it looks like a small rounded microplane) and grate away! It has a more intense, real nutmeg flavor than the powdered version, and a little goes a long way, but it's a wonderful addition to all sorts of cooked and baked dishes.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I thought maybe it was just stronger flavored than the pre-ground that I was used to. And I couldn't imagine how to peel it, glad to know that is not necessary. Thanks again, have a great evening.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I received a whole nutmeg as a welcome gift when I visited Grenada. I held onto it although I didn't know what to do with it. I didn't watch cooking shows either. Fast forward and I needed nutmeg for Mac and Cheese. I knew you had to grate it and I had a micro plane but I thought I had to crack the nut first. I used pliers to open the nut - it cracked in half but didn't reveal an inner nut. Duh me. Now I had 2 halves to grate. Hard to hold onto it and it lasted forever before I bought a container. it might last me a lifetime.

Honored Contributor

I never really cared much for it until I started grating it myself. I made an apple pie recipe today that didn't call for it, but I added it anyway. It's such a lovely aroma when it's fresh grated, but yes, a little goes a long way so be careful not to overdo it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

It is wonderful on sautéed spinach also.