Super Contributor

Has anyone become ill after using a BBQ grill mat? Caution, don't read if squeamish.

I have used the grill mat several times when grilling for my husband. I am a very picky eater and did not eat anything the first few times it was used. Friday evening I cooked hamburgers and a few slices of bacon and ate a small piece of the bacon. Less than an hour later I had projectile vomiting and dry heaves that lasted for almost 2 hours. I thought maybe the bacon had not been cooked enough. Last night, two days later, I used the grill mat again to cook vegetables. I ate some of the potatoes and squash and the same thing happened. My husband did not become sick. There was nothing else other than the grill mat that was different. The grill mat is now at the bottom of the garbage can and the good news is my appetite has not returned!
Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone become ill after using a BBQ grill mat? Caution, don't read if squeamish.

No, but I didn't care much for mine, after several uses I use it as a nonstick rolling mat. I may use it in the oven.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone become ill after using a BBQ grill mat? Caution, don't read if squeamish.

I don't know anything about the grill mat or what made you ill, but it is highly unlikely that any sort of "food poisoning" or food-borne illness developed within an hour after eating! My guess is that something else made you ill and that you threw away your grill mat unnecessarily.

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with GoodStuff. If your husband ate the same food and did not get sick, then the issue was in your system, not from a grilling mat.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with GoodStuff and RedTop.

Correlation doesn't always equal causation.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

You state your appetite has not returned. That's further evidence there's something other than the grill mat that's making food unappealing. I hope you feel better soon. Try to eat or drink things that are easily digestible. Best wishes to you.
Honored Contributor

We have the grill mats and use them almost every day - thus far no illnesses here at our place and we have been using them since May - almost every day. I wash them after each use with dish soap and a scrubber pad.

Respected Contributor

We have used the mats and we have no reactions. However, that is not saying that there may be something in the composition of the mat that you are allergic or reactive to.

Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 Allegheny said:

We have used the mats and we have no reactions. However, that is not saying that there may be something in the composition of the mat that you are allergic or reactive to.

This is my thought also. Just because hubby didn't feel the effects, tells me only that the food probably wasn't contaminated in any way, but perhaps there are chemicals leeching out of those mats at high temps that you are sensitive to. I certainly would have thrown it away after the second time as well, or at least set it aside and not used it until I was better and see if perhaps I had a bug or something.

Trusted Contributor

I think it could very well be the grill mat. Perhaps there is something its made of, once hot, you have an allergic type reaction to. I would definitely throw it away and never use that type of product again. I don't care for the whole idea of that mat and prefer to place my food right on the grill.