Valued Contributor

I need idea's on food to take to my friend who just lost her daughter? please, ty

Hey everyone

I need idea's on food to take to my friend who just lost her daughter? she had not heard from her and went to check on her and found her dead in her bathroom, No one knows how ..but she had so many health issue besides plus TB... so sad!! I want to take her some food ..she's not eating!! Any ideas?? and maybe recipes..id like to start cooking in the morning..Thank you so much!! I think comfort food is in order??what do u think??

Brittany

Super Contributor

Re: I need idea's on food to take to my friend who just lost her daughter? please, ty

My deepest sympathy for your friends loss. I agree comfort food would be welcome, also any casseroles that she could freeze. I hope this helps

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I need idea's on food to take to my friend who just lost her daughter? please, ty

What a tragedy! You are kind to be thinking hard about how to comfort them. When my mother passed away, some of my dad's neighbors brought a huge platter of Subway sandwiches and it was amazing how helpful that was! To be sure, kind people brought much food to his house, but the platter was really helpful as we had many relatives/family coming in from out of town and, for some reason, the Subway platter was the first thing to go. Showing kindness--in any form--- is so important at these times....I'm sure anything you do will be much appreciated.
Trusted Contributor

I'm very sorry for your friend. I've lost a daughter also and I just think you're a wonderful friend to try and help this way. I'm thinking a nice homemade soup would be a good thing and easy to eat. Do you know what she likes? I'll say a prayer for her.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/31/2014 daisyk said:

I'm very sorry for your friend. I've lost a daughter also and I just think you're a wonderful friend to try and help this way. I'm thinking a nice homemade soup would be a good thing and easy to eat. Do you know what she likes? I'll say a prayer for her.

So sorry to hear of your loss! God bless you. (Hugs)
Valued Contributor

Ty all so much, all the rest of the family is out of stateSmiley Sad( so she is alone with her husband..

i thought about those potatoes called funeral potatoes and maybe a roasted chicken and some baked bread. that's as far as iv got and that's not in stone...and some cut up fruit!!

and a pot of soup is a wonderful idea....so im so open for ideas..i just need to find a good soup recipe..i dont make a lot of soups!!

ty all so very much i just have to help them..when I lost my brother the last thing i wanted to do was cook!!

TY so much, Britt

Esteemed Contributor

Oh gosh what a terrible thing. Condolences to your friend.

I usually try to bring a baked ham or turkey breast, a loaf of bread, a simple casserole and a cake.

Paper plates, cups and plastic ware are nice to have, so there are not a lot of dishes to wash. Someone brought those things when I lost my husband and I really appreciated it.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Perhaps soon you can offer the husband a list of groceries he should stock up on, or ask someone to accompany him if he is really grieving and cannot drive himself.

Restaurant gift certificates are a blessing too.

Having a pro fruit basket sent would be thoughtful.

Best foods to consider for bringing over I can recommend are the following:

Restaurant breakfast, lunch or dinner entrees you can bring over and include something for yourself, you can all eat together if possible.

Different casseroles and section portion them so they can freeze and pull out to reheat and eat.

Mac & cheese casserole is always comfort food and a big hit.

Baked meat loafs, hams, turkeys, chickens.

Anything to freeze and eat in portions makes it really easier to deal with when people are grieving.

Fried foods make some fried chicken cutlets and portion them so they can make them and make sandwiches as well.

Some soups and stews and portion them also. Soup is nutritious so chicken soup with chicken pieces and noodles would be great. Some vegetable soup would be nice too. Also for a fast microwaveable soup those cup of soups are also good in a pinch although high in sodium so I never use much of the included base.

Some cold cuts for fast sandwiches may also be a good idea.

Different nutritious cereals and plenty milk.

Eggs for breakfasts or sandwiches.

Freezer filled with some sliced bread and frozen veggies so they can pull what they prefer to have.

They may need reminders to eat so if you wish also bring food or try and take them out to eat. (They may not be up to going out right now and may need some time and need some time).

Various fruits and ensure they have drinks to keep well hydrated.

Emotional support if they has no one close by. Keep your line open for them to talk whenever they feel the need, and call and visit them as often as you can.

Medications are another consideration and convince them to see their physicians, so they can evaluate if additional meds to help them both deal with the grief journey.

Have someone contact their religious organization and inquire about group therapy grief sessions and if need be perhaps someone can go with her and attend the sessions.

Food, drink, meds, vitamins, physician contact, religious contacts for religious spirituality comfort, and grief therapy.

Also if she is a QVC member please have her and her husband look at the delayed grief thread under health and fitness, as I personally asked QVC to bring it back to us with comments allowed again for continued participation

There is the threat of isolation and many grieving will isolate themselves.

That is a real danger so try not to allow that to occur. Depression sets in and some feel there is nothing left to live for, so people need to be accessible if possible or find others who can be to be sure they remain safe, and help is available all the time if need be.

Locate the delayed grief thread on health and fitness here on the community bb's and if you can read it with them then they will be given much needed grief journey information, and read of our experiences and find out what lays ahead during this very sad time in their lives.

That thread is an encyclopedia of such useful grief journey experiences, and also outlines what the grief journey entails It would really help her a lot of she can access it. Maybe not now, but in time and if they want to cyber chat and I am around and not traveling I will reply, and I know others will reply to them as well.

I am so saddened to read this and know the death journey all too well being the sole survivor of my clan with no immediate family or living relatives anymore.

I recently remarried and am so blessed for that, but 3 years ago lost my beloved husband of 45 years died in a fatal car crash, and exactly 2 weeks later my beloved Mom died. It was a dual grief journey, and the grief is still with me.

I think you are a great friend, and she is so lucky you care, especially if there are no other relatives nearby who would reach out to be with her and her husband, during this very fragile time of crisis. Finding your child dead is something no parent will ever recover from.

Above all let them talk to you and voice how they feel, and they may repeat numerously, so just nod your head and listen. Let them know you care and feel their loss, and you also miss their daughter. Speak of her with them to let them know you remember and will always care.

When it comes to a time frame there is no set time for a grief journey. People accept and heal differently.

I wish them both God's love, strength, wisdom and protection along with his blessings, and also know you too will receive goodness in your life much goodness for caring this way for other human beings.

Good friends sometimes remain mute when a friend loses a loved one and in my eyes that is just so wrong.

I know that is the time when they need friends the most....a real friend is there in the good and sad times, at least in my eyes that is my experience having traveled the grief path journeys so many numerous times. For those who never responded and knew I did not pursue. For others who did I have repaid then ten fold in so many grateful ways. Real friends are a true blessing, and one of the biggest comforts a person grieving may interact with.

That grief journey path is one which should never be walked alone.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/31/2014 Britbrit13 said:

Ty all so much, all the rest of the family is out of stateSmiley Sad( so she is alone with her husband..

i thought about those potatoes called funeral potatoes and maybe a roasted chicken and some baked bread. that's as far as iv got and that's not in stone...and some cut up fruit!!

and a pot of soup is a wonderful idea....so im so open for ideas..i just need to find a good soup recipe..i dont make a lot of soups!!

ty all so very much i just have to help them..when I lost my brother the last thing i wanted to do was cook!!

TY so much, Britt

Britt, you are a good friend. Maybe in a few days you could take a pot of soup. That way, they will have something a little further down the line.

I make a really great vegetable soup I could tell you about, but it takes a couple of days to make it right?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

TY all so much it just breaks my heart thinking about her and her pain..it took me almost a year to stop crying over my brother..for no reason at all id just sit and cry..but its gotten so much better so i so understand!! ty

Britt