Valued Contributor

I found a recipe for salmon roll ups that I wanted to try for Labor Day. You use canned salmon, eggs, dill, parsley and onion and roll and bake them in crescent rolls. Do you think I can make them the day before, or do you think it would be better to make them on Labor Day?

Esteemed Contributor

If the egg is raw, make it the same day.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor
On 8/31/2014 HonnyBrown said:

If the egg is raw, make it the same day.

Thanks, yes you use raw egg in the recipe. I was going to bake them today, but wasn't sure if they would be ok until tomorrow or if it would be better to make them tomorrow instead. Just trying to get as much done as I can today.

Frequent Contributor

ooh! must try this recipe! I make something similar except into patties, this might be a lot easier.

Respected Contributor

I think the bread part would probably become a little soggy if not baked the same day. I've made a similar recipe except spread the salmon mixture over rolled out Bisquick biscuit dough, then rolled up and sliced, served with a white sauce.

Trusted Contributor

BLH: recipe please.

Boop

Trusted Contributor
I was interested in BLH's recipe for salmon rollups since I have several cans of pink salmon that I need to begin using. This is a recipe for them that I found online using the ingredients BLH listed with the inclusion of red pepper flakes. I would have made them last night if I weren't missing the crescent rolls. Sorry for the formatting but this seems to be the bane of this tablet! ............................................................................................................................................................. Salmon Rollups and Dill Sauce............................................................................................................ Source: http://southernfood.about.com/od/appetizersandsnacks/r/bl30201r.htm...................... 1 can ounces (about 7 1/2 ounces) salmon, drained, flaked, 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes, 1/2 teaspoon dried dill, ground cayenne pepper, 1 egg, beaten, 1 teaspoon grated onion, 1 package crescent rolls, separated into triangles................................................................... PREPARATION................................................................................................................. Mix salmon, egg, parsley, onion and dill; carefully spread on crescent triangles. Roll up from wide end after spreading with salmon. Bake on cookie sheet at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes. Serve this salmon recipe with a cheese sauce or dill sauce. Dill Sauce............................................................................................................................................. INGREDIENTS....................................................................................................................................... 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 cup whole milk, paprika, 1/3 cup finely chopped dill pickle, 1 tablespoon chopped pimento.................................................. PREPARATION...................................................................................................................................... In a small saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter; add flour and salt. Stir to blend well. Gradually add milk. Stir constantly until thickened. Stir in paprika, diced dill pickle and pimento. Serve over fish, salmon patties or salmon loaf.
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone. I made on Labor Day morning. I will post recipe when I get home from work.

Valued Contributor

Salmon Roll Ups

Buttery, flaky rolls with dilled salmon are a great buffet item, not to mention a unique brunch possibility when served alongside a fruit salad.

1 (14.75-ounce) can salmon, flaked

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

2 teaspoons dried onion flakes

1 teaspoon crushed dried dill weed

1 (8-ounce) packages refrigerated crescent rolls

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine salmon, eggs, parsley, dried onion flakes and dill weed. Open refrigerated crescent rolls and spread each of them out flat on a clean work surface. Divide salmon mixture evenly among them, placing each portion near wide end of long triangle and leaving a small border. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper (optional). Roll up from wide end and place on an ungreased baking sheet.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

The canned salmon is already cooked, so I would think it would dry out during baking.