Respected Contributor

Dumb Question about Grilling Sausages

I have never fried or grilled sausages in my life. We were at a friends house and they grilled them. My husband loved it. They were sweet sausages. I can't eat them. My question is do you have to poke them with a fork or put a few slices in them like a hot dog. I am hoping to makes these tonight. Thanks for any help.

Valued Contributor

Re: Dumb Question about Grilling Sausages

Whether grilling or frying, I always poke a few holes in the sausage to prevent a bit of the popping and splattering. They'll do it anyway but it does lessen the mess on top of the stove.

Maria

Honored Contributor

When we grill them, we actually slice them lengthwise in order to grill both the inside, and outside of the sausage.
Respected Contributor

Here's a tip my husband got from a butcher that we have been using ever since for grilling Italian sausage. Poke holes with a fork (about 4-5 times going down the sausage) then put them in a Pyrex dish or something similar, add water to cover, then cover and microwave 3-5 minutes depending on how many you have. This gets rid of the excess grease and also cuts down on the cooking time when you throw them on the grill. Everyone raves about my husband's grilled sausage so I think it's working! Cuts down on the big grease flare ups on the grill and you can get a good browning on the outside and the inside is always done.. Edited to correct that you cover the sausages with water before microwaving, not halfway up as I previously said. Don't know where my head went on that one lol
Frequent Contributor

I second Reba's suggestion. I've been doing the same thing for years and also got my tip from our butcher. If you don't have a microwave (lake house or whatever), you can also boil them on the stove in water for 20 mins and get the same result.

Honored Contributor

i like them sliced down the center like redtop does.....that way both sides get grilled.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Thanks for these tips. I still have frozen ones and will try both methods next time I make them.