Super Contributor

Looking for a recipe for chicken noodle soup.

I love fixing soup in the fall and winter and would like a recipe for chicken noodle soup, I'm 64 and have never ate any except Campbell"s and Lipton's. Think it's time to try the real thing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a recipe for chicken noodle soup.

I never made homemade noodles, but I just made a great chicken & rice soup from a recipe my daughter gave me. Cook and shred 2 chicken breasts (I cooked them in my crock pot the day before, shredded and refrigerated them til I was ready to make my soup). Put them in the crock pot with a 49 oz. can of chicken broth, a bag of frozen crinkle cut carrots, some diced celery, and a box of chicken/garlic Rice-A-Roni (sprinkle in both the rice mixture and the seasoning packet). Cook on high for 4 hours. DH and I loved it.

Super Contributor

Sounds good I think I'll try it, I have a German recipe for homemade noodle think I'll add those. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Chicken Noodle Soup

1 - 12 oz. bag Amish Kitchens Home-Style Egg Noodles

2 boxes chicken stock or broth low sodium

2 cups water

3-4 stalks celery cut into pieces

1 bag shredded carrots or carrot chips

bay leaf

Thyme

sea salt & pepper to taste

2 rotisserie chicken cut into pieces (1 may work depending on size or how much chicken you want in the soup. DH likes a lot of chicken).

Add broth & water, stir in celery, carrots, salt, pepper, bay leaf, noodles & chicken.

Cook in pressure cooker 5 mins. YUM!!! This fills up my 6 qt pressure cooker.

It only takes a few mins. in the pressure cooker since the chicken is already cooked.

Smile

I freeze what we don't eat in individual serving size bowls.

If you don't have a pressure cooker you can always use a stock pot.

Respected Contributor

I start by cooking 4 chicken breasts with the bone. I add 3 to 4 cups water. I chop celery onion & carrots. Add to the stock. Cook slowly for about 3 hours. You can either skin the chicken or cool the stock and skim the fat off. Chop or shred the chicken. Add the package homemade noodles. Season to taste.

Esteemed Contributor

Check Pinterest. It has every type of Chicken Soup you can imagine from plain chicken, stock and homemade noodles to Indian coconut curry! One for every taste!

Frequent Contributor

This is the recipe I like best. It's from Rachel Ray and you make it in the slow cooker which is a plus for me. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs Salt and pepper 1/3 pound ditalini 2 carrots, cut in small dice 2 celery stalks, cut in small dice 4 cups water Zest and juice of 1 lemon.

PREPARATION In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides; place them into slow cooker pot. Toast up the pasta in the same skillet the chicken was browned up in. Add the carrots, celery and water to the slow cooker, cover and cook undisturbed for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Add pasta to the soup 15 minutes before serving. Once the soup is done cooking, liven it up with freshly squeezed lemon juice and some zest.

Super Contributor

Thanks to all for the recipes, I appreciate it. TY

Regular Contributor

Take this for what its worth. I am known for my chicken noodle soup. But its my family and we all have the same taste. So here it is. I take a whole chicken and cook it on stove top till almost all the way cooked. I put the chicken in a soup pot and cover with water. Once chicken is most of the way cooked, i take it out to debone and add chicken stock, bouluon cubes, and bay leaves. Oh. And i add about half of one small cans of tomato juice. Like v8. I put in chopped celery, potatoes, and carrots. I put in two whole onions, skewered with toothpicks so they don't fall apart, and a couple whole celery sticks. And Italian parsley. Let this all simmer until veggies are cooked to your liking. I always taste throughout this process. Do I need more chicken stock, etc. And at the very end I add aldenta Noddles of my choice. I also shake some pepper in. The amount of veggies and parsley I use is just to my liking. I keep tasting and add what I want. This is my signature dish that I am asked for though out the winter. And no one asks when they are sick because they know that I will make it for them.
Esteemed Contributor

It's been many years since I've made chicken soup; however, I remember distinctly that a stewing hen was the only way to go and the flavor was out of this world.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein