Super Contributor

How Can I Keep the Icing from Lifting the Top of My Cake Off When I Frost It????

This is really frustrating. I go to put my icing on my cake and it lifts the top of my cake right off with it. It looks terrible. What am I doing wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: How Can I Keep the Icing from Lifting the Top of My Cake Off When I Frost It????

You have to do what they call a "crumb coat."

If you are using home made icing, you thin a little bit of icing out in a cup and make a glaze consistency and coat the cake with it. Let it dry. Then you ice.

If you are using store bought icing, I think you just do a thin layer first and then a thick layer over it.

Wilton forums should have great tips on this.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Can I Keep the Icing from Lifting the Top of My Cake Off When I Frost It????

Sounds like your icing is too thick. Using a crumb coat will keep crumbs from getting in your icing and you should really do that too, but if your icing is too think and stiff it will pull part of the actual cake up when you frost

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 VaBelle35 said:

You have to do what they call a "crumb coat."

If you are using home made icing, you thin a little bit of icing out in a cup and make a glaze consistency and coat the cake with it. Let it dry. Then you ice.

If you are using store bought icing, I think you just do a thin layer first and then a thick layer over it.

Wilton forums should have great tips on this.

Thank you for such a quick reply, VaBelle35. I'll certainly give it a try. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Also, don't lift your spreader that you are using. You put a big old glob in the middle and you keep spreading, but never ever lift the spreader up or your cake will come up with it. You just keep spreading (and turning if you have a turntable).

Take a cheap Wilton class at Michaels or AJ Moore. You get a lot of good practical tips in there.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

In addition to what LaBelle said make sure your cake is fully cooled before you frost it. If it's even a little warm the top will lift off in spots.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 LiveLaughLove said:

Sounds like your icing is too thick. Using a crumb coat will keep crumbs from getting in your icing and you should really do that too, but if your icing is too think and stiff it will pull part of the actual cake up when you frost

Thank you LiveLaughLove. I had no idea what was causing this. I thought I did not let my cake cool long enough.

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 AnikaBrodie said:

In addition to what LaBelle said make sure your cake is fully cooled before you frost it. If it's even a little warm the top will lift off in spots.

AnikaBrodie, I just stated to another poster that I thought maybe this was what I was doing wrong. I'll definitely make sure it's cool enough this go around. Thanks!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Make sure that the cake has cooled down. I know that some people freeze theirs before they ice it even though I've never done that. I do a light glazing by putting some icing in a cup or small bowl, then add a bit of water. Apply a VERY thin layer on the cake before you do the final icing. Also, whatever you spread the glaze with, take it from one side of the cake to the other, without constant lifting. That will help to minimize the crumbs, too.

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 VaBelle35 said:

Also, don't lift your spreader that you are using. You put a big old glob in the middle and you keep spreading, but never ever lift the spreader up or your cake will come up with it. You just keep spreading (and turning if you have a turntable).

Take a cheap Wilton class at Michaels or AJ Moore. You get a lot of good practical tips in there.

These are all just good tips. Thank you so much. I have a Michael's close by and will check when their next class is. I've ruined too many good cakes to not attend{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}