Respected Contributor

Big Mike's Greek Roasted Stuffed Peppers

This is from my cousin's husband who is an outstanding cook:

Big Mike's Greek Roasted Stuffed Peppers

Everyone has a stuffed pepper recipe. I borrowed the concept of mine from Ellie's Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers. After making it, posting the results getting some feedback from friends and family I modified it and the results were outstanding. The biggest thing I changed was to roast the peppers before stuffing them. I like the peppers to be softer than the original recipe made and I love the extra flavor from the roasting process. I also added lamb to the meat mixture. I mean, hey, this is supposed to be a Greek recipe, right? It doesn't matter if you make red or green peppers, you'll love this recipe.

Ingredients
:
1/2 pound lean ground beef

1/2 pound ground lamb

1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)

1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)

3/4 cup white rice (cooked)

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon salt

Freshly ground black pepper

3 large red or green bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed

2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes

3/4 cup good marinara sauce

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

Cut and core the peppers, then place them on a roasting pan open side down and broil them in the oven for 5-10 minutes (until they are scorched a bit and softened).

You can do this on the top burners of your stove also, I prefer doing them all at once in the broiler.

Remove from broiler and let cool.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine the beef, lamb, spinach, zucchini, onion, rice, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.

In another bowl combine the stewed tomatoes and marinara sauce and mash with a potato masher until the tomatoes are broken into smaller pieces.

Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomato marinara mix over the peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer.

Sprinkle with the feta cheese and serve.

Honored Contributor

Re: Big Mike's Greek Roasted Stuffed Peppers

This recipe sounds awesome. I will copy it and make it as soon as I get all the necessary ingredients. Ground lamb may be hard to find in our area. I'm thinking it would go great with corn bread.

(I will have to substitute something for the spinach; my husband is not supposed to eat dark green veggies. Any suggestions?)

Thanks for posting.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

AnikaBrodie - try substituting kale.

This guy is a wonderful cook; everyone who tried his recipe has been raving about it on his FB page. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} His wife - my cousin - doesn't know how to boil water, so she really is blessed to have him - he's an all-around great guy who adores her. (She had a mastectomy today; please say a prayer for her.)

Honored Contributor

I will say prayers for your cousin. I hope her surgery went well and I hope she will have great results from her treatment plan. As a cancer survivor I know there is always HOPE. Please remind her of that.

((((((HUGS)))))) for your cousin.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

Thanks, Anika - I appreciate that. Her sister said she's out of surgery and resting. I wish she didn't live so far away; I'd love to see her - actually, I haven't seen her in person in about 35 years; her mother and I were extremely close.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, Anika - I appreciate that. Her sister said she's out of surgery and resting. I wish she didn't live so far away; I'd love to see her - actually, I haven't seen her in person in about 35 years; her mother and I were extremely close.

Esteemed Contributor

These sound fantastic!