Super Contributor
My daughter "inherited" a smoker which looks like it was never ever cleaned. I know how to clean the racks but don't know how to safely clean the interior. I would welcome ideas and suggestions.
Frequent Contributor

Don't clean it !!!! That is ""bark"" that takes a long time to build up to achieve authentic smoked food. Clean out the wood chip tray and the drip tray and leave the rest alone. Sonnie ps and by the way I live in Texas and was taught by champions!

Honored Contributor
On 8/25/2014 HUENEME GIRL said:

Don't clean it !!!! That is ""bark"" that takes a long time to build up to achieve authentic smoked food. Clean out the wood chip tray and the drip tray and leave the rest alone. Sonnie ps and by the way I live in Texas and was taught by champions!

Totally agree! While we may wipe out a bad spill...we have had ours for 4 years now and don't really clean it...not like an oven!

Super Contributor
Thank you, I had no idea it shouldn't be cleaned. There were pieces of meat stuck to the racks and fallen onto the floor. It's been sitting on my patio, covered up but even though I removed the pieces of rotted food, ants are circling every day. Not appetizing to me at all. Anything I can do?
Honored Contributor

I agree with not cleaning the interior bark build up. We don't clean the interior of ours other then the racks, temp. probe, water pan, chip pan, exterior. This info is in the manual on how to clean it & a tip on their Facebook page how to clean the interior. I guess some still want to clean the interior. Maybe the mixture of apple cider vinegar & water will help clean the stuck meat off so you don't have the ant problem.

Cleaning Instructions in the Manual

For cooking racks, water bowl and drip tray use a mild dish detergent. Rinse and dry thoroughly.

For wood chip holder and wood chip loader, clean frequently to remove ash build up, residue and dust.

For the interior, meat probe, and exterior of smoker simply wipe down with a damp cloth.

Do not use a cleaning agent. Make sure to dry thoroughly.

Door seal and inside seam that seal attaches to MUST be cleaned after each use to keep seal in proper working condition.

This tip is on their Facebook page on cleaning the interior. Tip: best way to clean your smoker is with a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and hot water. Cuts right threw the smoke residue.

Super Contributor
Thank you all. I will try the cider vinegar this weekend. I have no idea how old this is and, of course, do not have a manual so thanks for the information.