Trusted Contributor

Anyone Ever Get a Vitamix and Return It?

I finally gave in and ordered the last Vitamix TSV. I've watched it forever, probably like most everyone else.

Obviously, when watching the presentations for the Vitamix it all looks so very easy. Now, I'm not saying it's "hard," but it seems to be quite a bit more "work" than I thought it was going to be. I'm thinking maybe I just have to get used to it -- the planning ahead, the making sure I have ingredients needed, having it out on my counter while drying it from washing, things like that. This may sound silly, but it feels a bit overwhelming to me at this beginning stage. I want to make sure I'm going to use it enough to justify the price.

Anyone ever get one and find that it was a little more time-consuming than you thought it would be?

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Get a Vitamix and Return It?

You think it's more time consuming than your regular blender? What did you buy it for? I bought mine for green smoothies and they are work. I have to keep up with the produce and I have to wash it all, dry it and store it. Sometimes I freeze fruit and sometimes I buy packaged frozen fruit. That is really the work in green smoothies. Once it's prepped the smoothie is really quick. I have to plan more for soups. I'm used to planning since I make everything I eat anyway. Use it at least for your 30 days.
Respected Contributor

No, I love mine. I use it for quick sauces--like Bearnaise. I never run out of confectioner's sugar if I'm doing spur of the moment baking because you just measure regular sugar into the container, add some cornstarch, and in moments you have it.

Just keep experimenting with it and you will find you use it more and more for many different steps when making a recipe. A "dry" blender is on my 'to get" list, but haven't purchased yet.

Playing with it and finding out how others used it helps. Every time the Q features it I learn something new. And Jan does great demos.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/25/2014 Cardamom said: You think it's more time consuming than your regular blender? What did you buy it for? I bought mine for green smoothies and they are work. I have to keep up with the produce and I have to wash it all, dry it and store it. Sometimes I freeze fruit and sometimes I buy packaged frozen fruit. That is really the work in green smoothies. Once it's prepped the smoothie is really quick. I have to plan more for soups. I'm used to planning since I make everything I eat anyway. Use it at least for your 30 days.

I actually didn't use a regular blender on a regular basis. The smoothie thing is new for me. We bought it more or less to see if we couldn't get ourselves (my husband and I) eating more fruits and vegetables. I'm sure it just takes a little getting used to if you haven't even been using a regular blender on a daily basis.

Respected Contributor

What were your expectations? Have you not used a blender before? Same only better!

Respected Contributor

Some things are just worth the time and effort. But if you don't want to spend the time using it, then I guess it's best to return it. I love mine. If you're serious about what you put in your body, then it's worth every minute.

Esteemed Contributor

I returned mine. It was like having a lawn mower on the counter. There is alot of food prep involved. The plastic top is very difficult to deal with and drips, the tamper is a problem if the machine can't handle the food. The water chop is a mess, it does not clean that easy, you have to get out a veggie brush to clean the side. That's just a few of the issues that bothered me about a $500 machine.

Respected Contributor

I've had several, all but one of which has been kidnapped by grands getting out of college and starting up new "homes". I have the 7500?? left. The use is really easier than I thought it would be. But I do remember the first time I turned one on - the noise and speed almost scared me!

My biggest issue is the trouble that Cardamom mentioned about the work of keeping a good supply of ingredients on hand. Secondly, the cost of the produce. It does add up. But we enjoy using the VitaMix and make smoothies and soups about twice a week. We also use it for little things like making bread crumbs out of fresh bread.

Give it a fair try before you return it. Watch any presentations you can find on t.v. Maybe you'll decide it isn't for you, but you just might love it! I do.

Trusted Contributor

It's worth any additional work, to me. I make protein smoothies just about every day. I also use it for many other things, like hummus.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

On 8/25/2014 Perkup said:

I've had several, all but one of which has been kidnapped by grands getting out of college and starting up new "homes". I have the 7500?? left. The use is really easier than I thought it would be. But I do remember the first time I turned one on - the noise and speed almost scared me!

My biggest issue is the trouble that Cardamom mentioned about the work of keeping a good supply of ingredients on hand. Secondly, the cost of the produce. It does add up. But we enjoy using the VitaMix and make smoothies and soups about twice a week. We also use it for little things like making bread crumbs out of fresh bread.

Give it a fair try before you return it. Watch any presentations you can find on t.v. Maybe you'll decide it isn't for you, but you just might love it! I do.

Thanks, Perkup. You mentioned soup -- do you have any favorites? We made the Vitamix Black Bean soup last night and it wasn't our favorite. And thanks for the encouragement -- I will give it a fair try.