Esteemed Contributor

I need to place an order soon. What are your favorite blends and how do you use them? I'm always looking for new ideas!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I've been using Penzeys for years and love them. I'm happy to give you some recommendations for things I really like.

1. They have the BEST cocoa powder ever. I get the full fat and it has a deeper and richer color and flavor that any other I've ever used.

2. Mural of Flavor--put this on all the fish I cook.

3. Chicago Seasoning--smokey/salty flavor I like to sprinkle on steaks and pork chops.

4. Cinnamon--I get the Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cassia, if you like cinnamon and use this you'll never go back to the regular stuff we grew up using.

5. Fox Point Seasoning--I mix this with yogurt or sour cream and mayo to make a wonderful dip.

I also have bought many of their single spices/herbs such as basil, rosemary, cilantro, chives, oregano, chili powder, pepper, thyme, dill weed, onion powder, minced onion, garlic powder, and others I probably can't think of at the moment. Never had a bad one.

When I first starting using them I bought the bottles then I got the bags to refill the bottles as it's cheaper that way.

Do you get their catalog? They often have a coupon for free things and you can put its code in when ordering online to receive the freebie.

Trusted Contributor
Another vote for Mural of Flavor. Best Penzey's blend I've tried. A niece uses Forward all the time. I prefer Penzey's cinnamon rather than their other cinnamons. Reminds me of cinnamon from my childhood. I also prefer their vanilla. So much more flavor than store brands. Actually, that's why I get all my dried herbs & spices from Penzey's - so much flavor!
Respected Contributor

I learned about Sunny Paris here--a light herb blend that's good with eggs, potatoes, etc. I also love Northwoods seasoning for potatoes and in meatloaf. Their pepper blends are wonderful. I keep California pepper out all the time and like Florida pepper on vegetables like brussel sprouts or broccoli. The lemon pepper seasoning has salt in it, but Sunny Spain is lemon pepper with no salt. Love Penzeys!

Respected Contributor

I just love the cinnamons. The "Tung Hing" is very spicy--like "red hot" candies. The Penzey's blend is more versatile and the Vietnamese Cinnamon is sweet and soft. Be warned, if you have friends taste these, they will frequently want to piggy back an order for more cinnamon (to save on shipping for just one item!)

Mural of Flavor--this is a good salt free seasoning. I had the same reaction from friends ("are you going to place an order???)

I love the Sweet Curry Powder. It isn't hot but it has wonderful flavor. It is great dusted on deviled eggs.

Smoked Paprika is great in stews and on eggs and vegetables.

I like the Aleppo red pepper. This is dried strips of chopped slightly hot red pepper.

I also buy the red-white-green-black peppercorn mix.

Finally, if you buy the Sausage Seasoning, you can make low fat sausage patties. Mix it into ground turkey and you can make low fat sausage patties (you can also use ground pork or low fat ground beef.) Commercial sausage has a lot of fat, so making fresh sausage avoids this. (Just mix some into raw meat, make a small ball and fry up to test the level of seasoning, adjust.)

Valued Contributor

Foxpoint, Mural of Flavor, Sate (love!), Smoked Paprika, I could go on and on, but these are my favorites.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Honored Contributor

Lemon pepper, for sure!

Respected Contributor
I love Penzeys': French Thyme, Dutch Process Cocoa, Cumin, Chili Powder, Mexican Vanilla (in stores, not online for some reason), Vietnamese Extra Fancy Cinnamon, Curry powder, Four Peppercorn Blend, and French Sea Salt.
Esteemed Contributor
On 8/23/2014 soonersis said:

I've been using Penzeys for years and love them. I'm happy to give you some recommendations for things I really like.

1. They have the BEST cocoa powder ever. I get the full fat and it has a deeper and richer color and flavor that any other I've ever used.

2. Mural of Flavor--put this on all the fish I cook.

3. Chicago Seasoning--smokey/salty flavor I like to sprinkle on steaks and pork chops.

4. Cinnamon--I get the Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cassia, if you like cinnamon and use this you'll never go back to the regular stuff we grew up using.

5. Fox Point Seasoning--I mix this with yogurt or sour cream and mayo to make a wonderful dip.

I also have bought many of their single spices/herbs such as basil, rosemary, cilantro, chives, oregano, chili powder, pepper, thyme, dill weed, onion powder, minced onion, garlic powder, and others I probably can't think of at the moment. Never had a bad one.

When I first starting using them I bought the bottles then I got the bags to refill the bottles as it's cheaper that way.

Do you get their catalog? They often have a coupon for free things and you can put its code in when ordering online to receive the freebie.

I've been a Penzey's shopper for almost 20 years! I have an open ended bookcase to store my Penzey's items.

I agree about the cocoa. How do you prevent your Fox Point blend from clumping?

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/23/2014 helping said: Another vote for Mural of Flavor. Best Penzey's blend I've tried. A niece uses Forward all the time. I prefer Penzey's cinnamon rather than their other cinnamons. Reminds me of cinnamon from my childhood. I also prefer their vanilla. So much more flavor than store brands. Actually, that's why I get all my dried herbs & spices from Penzey's - so much flavor!

I agree! I buy from the store if I run out of something and need it today.