Honored Contributor

Can I freeze potato wedges after they're roasted?

I have potatoes that are going to be unusable in a day or two. I thought I'd roast them all up tonight in wedges and freeze some.

Has anyone ever tried this with success? Is there a trick to it?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Can I freeze potato wedges after they're roasted?

I heard potatoes do not freeze well and go mushy when thawed.

Respected Contributor

I've done the mashed "party potatoes" & have frozen them many times, usually in a crock pot , then just warm & serve, great for holidays, but also have done smaller portions also works well

Trusted Contributor

I don't like freezing potatoes, but that could just be me. I don't think I'd roast them, but you might want to try spix's suggestion for the party potatoes and then thaw and heat in your crock pot. I really don't like freezing potatoes.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone. I had them all cut up and ready to go so I could put them in the oven tonight. I suppose I could just keep the leftovers in the fridge and make home fries and eggs tomorrow for dinner.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

My dad, raised in a potato-growing area, could tell by taste if they had been frozen. He said they had a "sweet" taste. I've seen him with fork in mid-air at a restaurant announce that the potatoes had been frozen.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 7/31/2014 kachina624 said: My dad, raised in a potato-growing area, could tell by taste if they had been frozen. He said they had a "sweet" taste. I've seen him with fork in mid-air at a restaurant announce that the potatoes had been frozen.

That's funny! My husband is kind of fussy about his taters, too. I decided to seal in a lock-n-lock and heat them in the skillet tomorrow night.

~ house cat ~